Part 4

The drive home was just as excruciating. The leather jacket her mother forced her in itched against her bare skin. She pulled at the low v-neck sweater feeling self conscious now.

"So this is it." Betty said, finally breaking the silence between them. "This is the end of my childhood."

Betty said the last part as a joke, but her mother's face turned cold, her blushed cheeks turned pale. "Yes." she said. The remorse etched in her voice. "This is your life now, and Betty;" she looked over. Her moms pale eyes stared into hers. "Don't let them down, or you will be sorry."

And the silence refilled the car once more.

"I cant believe you went through with it Betty, I mean you out of all people." Veronica was sitting on Bettys bed brushing a hand through a lock of dark black hair. "Ouch." Betty replied sitting at her vanity, her body turned to Veronica.

"Not like that, it's just this is hard to believe." Veronica rubbed her temple. "I mean look at this in my eyes, Betty Cooper a gang leader. Someone I've been friends with and drank milkshakes with at pops. Your like a mafia leader now."

Betty couldn't protest this, it was all true. Veronica was always blunt and honest.

"Yeah, well I can't believe it either."

There was a long silence between the two of them. Betty feared what her bestfriend was thinking. Could she be building up the courage to leave her behind, the new Betty Cooper deemed not worthy of her time? Was she scared of her, oh god was her bestfriend scared of her?

But before Betty could overthink to far, Veronica sat up and stared out the window. "Oh my god, hot boy at 8 o'clock!" Betty perked up to glad for the change in topic.

They both got up and headed to the window. "Wow, that's one show." Veronica was smiling like a child, and Bettys mouth hung open a little bit. She secretly watched him through her window when she felt alone or bored, and needed a sense of reality to her.

Archie Andrew's, the boy next door. He was putting on his shirt, covering his toned abs. "Oh my god, Betty clean your mouth your drooling!" Veronica joked.

Betty shut her mouth as she blushed. "I wasn't drooling." she said.

"You totally were."

Then, as if he could feel her stares Archie turned his amber eyes on them. He was pulling his shirt down and paused midway. He took a moment to take us in, and Betty braced herself for the rejection; but instead he smiled a cocky grin and smoothed down his shirt. Betty could tell he was trying to flex his muscles, just to impress them. And there the silly schoolgirl crush sparked in her chest like fireworks.

"The famous gang leader falls for the innocent golden boy. That should be a story." she joked. Betty didn't care, not in the moment when one thing was still the same. She missed the feeling of her dads necklace hanging from her neck, feeling her reach for it but nothing be there. The fantom of what once was.

But as she looked out across the way, into the golden light of Archies room. The same boy, with the same amber eyes stared back into hers. She wondered if they still looked the same to him, if she was still the same lovesick neighbor he remembered chasing him down the block when they were kids.

Probably not.

"We should invite him over." Veronica smiled grabbing for her phone. "No!" Betty protested slamming her body before the phone.

"No way Veronica." she said gaurding the phone with her whole body. Veronica raised a eyebrow and laughed. "Somebody needs to calm down okay? Just let me be your saving grace." she reached beside Betty and Betty dove, letting Veronica have a free passage to the phone.

She grabbed it and started to type furiously, Betty got her footing fast and shot in the direction of Veronica trying to grab the phone. But by the time she reached her, it was too late. Veronica smiled to herself and handed Betty the phone. Betty looked out the window and saw Archies phone on the desk light up.

She almost swore to herself.

"Veronica I'm going to kill you."