∞ zero ∞

disclaimer: the events in this episode will be moved around slightly to fit my storyline.
i do not own any characters from the vampire diaries or the originals. the only character i own (thus far) is amirah o'connell.

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES
SEASON THREE, EPISODE FOURTEEN

DANGEROUS LIAISONS

"you're alone. wise choice."

finn mikaelson watches elena gilbert walk through the room's threshold, spotting the man's mother holding a bunch of burning sage in her hand, eyeing it up sceptically.

"it's only sage. i've spelled it so we can speak freely without fear of being overheard. that'll be all finn, thank you." the eldest mikaelson brother backs out of the room, closing the doors as he does so. "you must have a million questions for me elena. please." esther gestures for the doppelganger to sit on the couch, in which she follows suit.

"i'm sorry for damon killing kol. he can be a little... impulsive."

"no need to apologise, my dear. i know all too well the shame that comes with our close ones murdering others, but know that it was not your fault. besides, according to others, my son was the one who initiated it by trying to injure another boy. your friend only sought justice." elena nods hesitantly, shocked that the woman was so calm about her son being killed - even if it wasn't permanent.

"so... how are you alive? are you a ghost? or..."

"not exactly. when i died, the witch ayana preserved my body with a spell. she was a close friend of mine, an ancestor of your friend bonnie."

"so that's why only bonnie and her mother could open up the casket." elena deduces.

"they complete the bennett bloodline. i drew power from them and their ancestors who were with me on the other side."

"so you've been on the other side for a thousand years?"

"nature's way of punishing me for turning my family into vampires. but there is a way for me to undo the evil i created."

"you're gonna help us kill klaus, aren't you?"

"one thing at a time, elena. for now, i simply need your help."

esther stands and makes her way over to a table, where she lights candles using a long match.

"i understand rebekah shared the story of my family. how i upset the balance of nature by turning my children into vampires." esther tells elena, who is now also standing in front of the couch.

"she said you did it to protect them from the werewolves."

"it's true." esther pours a liquid into a chalice as she talks. "but in no time at all, they began to feed on human blood. they ravaged the town with no remorse. eventually, niklaus turned against me."

"how are you gonna kill him? he's immortal."

"it will take time, magic, and your assistance."

"what do i have to do with it?"

"my children believe i'm holding this ball to celebrate our reunion. but in truth, i've gathered them together to perform a ritual. the first step requires blood from a doppelgänger." elena immediately perks up, looking concerned. "only a drop. its essence will be in the champagne toast later on this evening. will you do it... or shall i?"