II. The Anonymous Patron

Chapter Two
Leera

The child sleeps the entire trip back to Nevarro. I can't help but stare at him as he lies there in a peaceful sleep, his giant ears and half of his face covered in his brown blanket, only his shut eyelids visible. He's utterly adorable, I don't think even the Emperor himself would deny that. But the man I shot at the fortress was so sure he was absolutely dangerous, that taking him would be my downfall. But how? I don't care if he's technically fifty, he's a baby, and the last I checked, babies weren't life threatening.

It doesn't matter really. Someone wants him for some reason, and as long as I get paid, that reason doesn't matter.

I sneak another glance at him, and still find him sleeping, snuggling himself deeper into the blanket.

I wonder if his parents are still alive. The odds of that are slim. Most children in the galaxy end up as orphans, it's one of the guarantees that comes with the Empire ruling. Even with them slowly starting to disband, the death and destruction won't stop, it will only grow stronger the more people resist their stay. The king of Taris, Chancellor Amidala, the whole rebel alliance will cause the deaths of so many people, cause so many children to become orphans in their mission to get rid of the Empire. Then once the Empire is gone, they'll take their places as rulers of the galaxy, and another corrupt government system made to oppress people will come to power. It happens every time. Every time someone tries to fight to make people's lives better, they just end up making them worse. Power corrupts people and turns them into the tyrant they tried to take down. It will happen again, and again, and again.

That's why this line of work is best for me, and for everyone really. I may not like the killing, I may question the missions I'm given, but if I'm only looking after myself, then there's no chance I'll become part of the corrupt machine of power. There's no chance I'll become like my father.

This is just how things have to be.

The place I'm supposed to deliver the child to is on the other side of the mountain range on Nevarro, in an abandoned Imperial outpost. It's pretty easy to find, and it certainly looks abandoned, probably hasn't been active in years. I turn off my ship's engine and program the child's container to follow me again. It trails a couple feet behind me as I make my way off the ship's ramp, heading towards the door of the outpost.

"My name is Leera Ambar, I'm the bounty hunter who retrieved the kid for you." I announce, raising my hands up to show I have no weapons. If these patrons didn't want the guild to know their identity, they probably will shoot someone who gets too close to their hideout. Better to be safe than sorry.

After a few seconds go by, a person in a large black cloak appears in the door way of the outpost, beckoning me forward with a finger. "Come." Is all they say.

I do as they ask, but make sure my blaster is loaded where it rests on my belt. As I follow them inside, they begin speaking to me, keeping their voice low: "Your agent said you would be successful with your mission within the day, but I had my doubts. I'm impressed."

"You shouldn't be. The mercenaries guarding the child were incompetent, it was easy." So easy I wonder why you didn't just get him yourself, but I choose not to say that part out loud. I do want to get paid, after all.

The person leads me into a large room, which probably was an office for the head of the outpost when it was still active. There's a large desk and a chair behind it, with hologram ports long dead and furniture that's been broken and ripped apart in various parts of the room. There's also a large window behind the desk, it's practically opaque from dust. I move to stand in front of the desk, and as I do so, I glance over my shoulder to find the cloaked person standing in the door way.