XX. Risen

Chapter Twenty
Ragnar

"I think it's safe to say that between Chandrilla and Mon Cala, we have enough resources to provide supplies for the New Republic. At least for now." Chancellor Padmé concludes, looking out across a large field of crops just waiting to be harvested. There are dozens of fields just like it surrounding the cities and littered across the two moons. Chandrilla is a beautiful, lush planet that will no doubt put a stop to the hunger of our people. It's truly a miracle.

"I would like you to handle the trade routes of the New Republic, not just for Taris," She continues, addressing Killian. "From our previous conversations, I've gathered you are familiar with how the business works, and you also have the dedication and intelligence for the job."

Killian looks taken aback by the offer, but wastes no time nodding their head in agreement. "I do, Chancellor, and I'd be honored to take up the position."

Chancellor Padmé extends her hand out towards them. "We will be in touch then."

He shakes her hand, then with a warm smile sent my way, the chancellor heads back to her ship, no doubt to check in and see how the others are doing. I should probably join her, check in on Jayce and the others, but as I'm about to follow her, Killian's voice stops me.

"Looks like our little mission wasn't for nothing."

I smile at them, once again taking in the sight of the teeming fields. "All thanks to you."

A smirk crosses their lips as he look at me sideways. "I can't take all the credit. I had some help."

I smile a little wider. "'Some' help?"

Killian chuckles under their breath. "Fine, a lot of help."

"These resources will be in good hands," I tell them, moving to stand a little closer to them. "Though I didn't realize you had experience in the trade business."

"There's a lot you don't know about me." He doesn't say it aloofly or cruelly, just matter-of-factly.

"I'd like to learn more about you." The words are out before I can stop them, and I feel my cheeks heat up.

Killian turns their head fully towards me, their expression full of surprise. "Believe me, I'm not all that interesting."

"I highly doubt that's true."

"Why? Why do you want to learn more about me?" Their tone has grown soft, even tender. Just like he sounded after I told them about my husband's death, when he told me that we were both survivors and that we never stop fighting.

They're right. I never stop fighting, especially for the things I want, the things I care about. So that's what I'm doing.

"Because I haven't felt a connection to anyone since my husband died, but then I met you, and I feel like I finally found someone who understands me and what I've been through."

Killian stares at me, their expression unreadable. When it becomes clear he isn't going to say anything, I continue:

"I have mourned my husband, I have moved on...but the pain is still there. It still weighs me down. I suspect the pain from your past still does the same. But we can take things slow, we can take our time to heal and slowly ease that weight off of us, and we can do it together."

Killian takes in a deep breath, their expression more vulnerable than I've ever seen it, and replies simply: "I would like that."

I can't help the grin that spreads on my face. "Really?"