You have to prove yourself

Cade could be feeling regret.

He couldn't be sure, as it wasn't a common feeling to him, but seeing the princess of Hyrule look wistfully out the window, - a hand to her chest, and the other on the windowsill, the image of solitude - made him feel a pang on his chest. It could be that he was regretting - maybe - sending that letter with normal shipping. He hailed the sack of potatoes and started treading through soldiers.

Even if he had sent it via express, he was sure that to get to Ordona Province you needed three days on horseback and no detours. Probably. He couldn't be sure, as geography was a little bit out of his league.

A soldier bumped onto him, Cade apologized. That Link guy could send a letter, too. Why did Zelda have to be the only one to send one? Too much of a Hero to keep in touch?

The princess had left the window. The cook told Cade where to put the cargo.

Yesterday's meeting had gone all kinds of wrong. Gaebora had distraughtly gone over the nobles being dismissive of the invasion. Some had even shrugged off Zelda's input, the invasion - if there had been one - had had minimal effect on the kingdom. Sure, the princess had been put away for a couple of months, but she was alive, she had her kingdom almost intact; and they surely could talk about more pressing matters, such as what's-his-name lord, and one uncle who had fallen in disgrace.

Cade had had to fight back his laughter as Gaebora kept on talking, the old man was jittery and Cade couldn't help but feel sorry for him. Gaebora had been uptight since the meeting, - not like he had been nothing else before - and he had told Cade, anguish in his voice, that he had thought heads were going to roll, because Zelda's response had left the air thick with tension.

"Do you not trust my words, sir Dotour?"

Gaebora promised, sweat pearling his forehead, that he had seen the blood run from Dotour's face.

"I do not take it lightly when my word is dismissed so, as you all are aware," she had glanced at every man and woman on the room, "or were. A couple of months without me and you forget all types of respect?" she had stood up, nose crinkled, "Tomorrow I want everyone to bring a record of the provinces and towns affected by the invasion I have just fended."

Dotour had tried to calm her down, saying that maybe denying the invasion had been out of place, but they could all agree that what he had meant was that using the word 'invasion' was - maybe - going a little too far. None of the councilpeople had moved, Zelda was radiating magic, and they were all fond of being alive.

Dotour had given a weak attempt of a smile, Zelda hadn't calmed down.

"Tell that to every name on the bulletins displayed in the square. Or have you not gone there, yet?"

Dotour had had the decorum of remaining silent.

Gaebora had been dismissed shortly after, and Zelda had gone to her room in obvious distress, she had closed her door with a loud thud.

Cade let go of the sack of potatoes and huffed loudly.

"That the last one?"

"Yes, sir."

The cook dismissed him, and Cade went to the garden.

The princess looked beautiful, all proper stance and clothes, she looked peaceful, surrounded by flowers and the everflowing fountain behind her back. Anybody else with less experience with the princess wouldn't have noticed, but Cade had grown up with her; which is why he knew she was frustrated to the Ancient Land on the Sky, and ready to chew someone's head off.

And yet - as usual - her voice was soft, "Cade."

He greeted with a nod, almost recoiled when he saw the letter.

"I need you to send another one."

He would have told her no if she had been less soft, but she gave him a slight smile, and he sighed.

"Yes, your Highness."

He looked around them to see if there were any guards. He spotted three, he also spotted four noblemen walking around. He stilled himself, this was reminiscent of the time when the king had died. He frowned, defeated, bowed slightly and made to go.

"Do you believe that an invasion happened?"

Cade closed his eyes. Chewed on his words.

"The castle is still destroyed, people were killed, you were trapped in that weird-looking-magic cage for almost three months. Of course I believe you."

Zelda chewed on her lower lip, "And yet I have to prove that it happened."

"They are being dumb. They are dumb. It shouldn't surprise you."

Zelda let out a laugh. The kind of laugh that was only a sigh to anybody else, but had a little more force behind it, a slight crinkle of her eyes. She bit her bottom lip to trap the words inside her.

"Please make sure that the letter is sent."

Cade bowed. Zelda followed him with her eyes, smiled as she felt the sun kiss her skin.

Cade hid the letter in his clothes and puckered his lips, he left the castle without anybody noticing; as soon as he got to the post office he retrieved the last letter.

"Whom do I have to bribe in here for this to get to Ordona Province in three days?"

He received varied looks, but they all nodded to one man on the corner.

Fuck that Link, he hoped he came back.