Chapter 2

Aoife

I stood by the fountain, stunned, as the gnome woman evaporated into thin air. I was not aware that there were any pens left functional after the collapse of magic in the mortal world, and I was terrified of the implications of her discovering one. The ruling god of the palace, Annas, was not known to do things unintentionally, and I was suddenly filled with fear and anger at what he might have planned for her. It was only my first day back at the palace after my absence, and already Annas was plotting against those of the mortal realm. He was absolutely infuriating.

I remembered the look in her eyes as she turned to me in the ballroom, and I knew she'd be back. I just hoped I was around for long enough to get her somewhere safe. It would not go well for her should she run into a different warrior.

Part of me wondered why I cared so much. Gnomes and demigods were not... traditional allies. On a more personal level, I was usually not able to process emotions enough to understand them. Most warriors were not, after the war. It is one thing to hear of war, and another entirely to have survivor's guilt from it. I shoved those thoughts down and far away. I shook thoughts of the frightened gnome out of my mine.

I wandered back into the court and walked directly into someone very tall.

"Aoife?", the tall person said, in a very familiar voice. I looked up to see a goliath looking very confused and simultaneously absolutely overjoyed.. Not just any goliath stood in front of me. This was my underling from the war, Kapeo, whom I had practically raised in battle.

"Ah, Kapeo," I responded. "Good to see you again." We had become good friends since, but I was not sure they had realized I was back at the palace. I should have communicated more in the time I was gone. I hadn't realized how much I'd missed those I'd come to love outside of my family. I supposed it was too late now.

"I didn't realize you were back! How is your brother?" Kapeo was cheerful, at least. I winced and their expression immediately shifted. "Oh. Oh, Aoife, I'm so sorry."

I had taken a leave of absence following a rapid decline in my brother's health. He had slowly been withering away from an unknown illness for several years. Danas stayed strong for a very long time. He would be greatly missed among the members of his patrol and the godly court. Kapeo had met him once, and evidently it had made an impression. Being back in the palace, I don't think I'd realized just how long I'd been away. I don't think I'd realized just how much things could change in the span of nine months.

"It's okay. Don't worry yourself." I attempted to smile as I said this. "I'm going to get back to the palace." I dodged around them and made my escape. Kapeo wasn't the problem, but there was nowhere I'd rather be less than another conversation about Danas.

I wandered back onto the ballroom floor, feeling eyes around me prick my skin, almost. After being away for so long, it felt very strange to be seen. I had a strong urge to run and hide, but I cooly walked up to the throne of Annas. He gazed down on me, with not a single emotion to be seen or felt across his face.

"I heard about Danas." His features were dull and blank. "I'm very sorry for your loss." He gazed down at me without an ounce of anything that could be considered actual sorrow. I bowed deeply.

"Thank you, your honor. How has the magic been in the time I've been gone? Have there been any more pens found in the mortal world?" I picked my words carefully, but I still feared that I was showing my hand.

"One, actually," he drawled, "was sent to a gnome girl. She has a shield of mine, and I want it back."

I felt the blood drain from my face. The gnome. What was she doing with anything belonging to Annas? I steadied myself.