Chicago

2011, Chicago

"Welcome back to Chicago, Stefan," Klaus says as we exit the car.

"What are we doing here?" Stefan says tiredly. Klaus smiles and shares a look with me. "I know how much you loved it here. Bringing back memories of the good old ripper days?" Klaus asks. Stefan doesn't reply right away. He sighs. "Blacked out most of them. A lot of blood, a lot of partying. The details are all a blur."

"Well, that is a crying shame," I say, joining the two boys at the front of the car, "The details are what make it legend."

Klaus nods. "Word was the ripper of Monterey got lonely, so he escaped to the city for comfort. It was Prohibition. Everything was off limits then, which made everything so much fun."

"Chicago was magical," Klaus finishes.

"Yeah, well, I'll take your word for it," Stefan shrugs. "Like I said, I don't remember most of it," he says.

"Going to get down to business, then?" Klaus asks. Stefan turns to him. "Why am I still with you? We had our fun, your hybrids failed. I mean, don't you want to move on?" Stefan says. 

I smile and stare down at the ground. "Klaus Mikaelson doesn't move on, love," I say to him. "He persists. Even if it is completely pointless," I finish.

Klaus grins. "We're going to see my favorite witch. If anyone can help us with our hybrid problem, it's her," he says.

I keep on a confident face but my heart falters. Gloria. We're going to see Gloria, that stupid witch who can bring about magical visions like it's nothing. She'll know straight away that Elena is still alive, and once she deduces that as the problem... I shake the worried thoughts out of my head. I need to find a way to contact Damon, I need to tell him to get Elena somewhere safe.

The dusty door of the bar swings open as the three of us walk in. "Looks familiar, doesn't it?" Klaus says to Stefan. "I can't believe this place is still here," Stefan mumbles, looking around.

"You got to be kidding me," Gloria's voice calls. Klaus smiles, and I turn around.

"So a hybrid walks into a bar, says to the bartender..." Klaus begins. "Stop. You may be invincible, but that doesn't make you funny," Gloria snaps, and I grin. Gloria looks Stefan up and down.

"I remember you," she says. "Yeah. You're Gloria," Stefan says with a frown. "Shouldn't you be..." 

"Old and dead?" Gloria finishes the sentence for him. "Now if I die, who's going to run this place, huh?"

"Gloria's a very powerful witch," Klaus says, as he begins to walk around the bar.

"I can slow the aging down some. Herbs and spells. But don't worry, it'll catch up to me one day," Gloria nods.

"Stefan, why don't you go and fix us up a little something from behind the bar?" Klaus says.

"Yeah, sure thing," Stefan replies. There's a mischievous twinkle in Klaus's eye. I follow Stefan, wondering what Klaus is up to.

"You look ravishing, by the way," I hear Klaus tell Gloria. 

"Don't. I know why you're here. A hybrid out to make more hybrids? That kind of news travels," she says. 

"So what am I doing wrong? I broke the curse," Klaus says angrily. 

"Obviously you did something wrong. Look, every spell has a loophole, but a curse that old... We'd have to contact the witch who created it," Gloria replies.

"Well, that would be the original witch. She's very dead," I say, walking back over to the two of them.

"I know," Gloria says. "And for me to contact her, I'll need help. Bring me Rebekah," she says.

My heart skips a beat as I hear that name. Rebekah, the girl who wished nothing more than her own happiness. I ripped that away from her, but more than that, I betrayed her in doing so... How will she react when she wakes up and sees me?

"Rebekah," Klaus says, looking just as nervous as I. "Rebekah is a bit preoccupied," Klaus explains.

"She has what I need. Bring her to me," Gloria says, undeterred.

I roll my eyes, and am just about to make myself a drink, when- "What is this?" Stefan suddenly demands, walking out from behind the bar, holding up a piece of paper.

"Well, I told you, Stefan. Chicago's a magical place," Klaus smiles. I pluck the paper out of Stefan's hands and stare at it. A photo from the 20s, with Klaus and Stefan sitting together, arm in arm.

"But this is me," Stefan says, stating the obvious. "With you." 

*************************************************************************************** 

"This doesn't make any sense. Why don't I remember you?" Stefan asks.

"You said it yourself, love. That time had a lot of dark holes," I say, looking around the warehouse we just arrived in. 

The large shelves are covered in thick layers of dust. I frown at them distastefully. Then my eyes rest on a row of sleek black coffins placed right below the opposite wall.

"No, if you knew me, then why haven't you said anything?" Stefan said, glancing at me, then turning to Klaus.

"I'm a little busy right now," Klaus says, heading over to the coffins. "Memory lane will have to wait."

"What the hell is going on? Answer me," Stefan demands.

Klaus shakes his head and laughs. "Let's just say we didn't get off to a brilliant start. To be honest, I hated you," he says. Then he swings open the lids on one of the coffins, revealing the body of Rebekah Mikaelson.

"Your sister. So I knew another Original vampire," Stefan breathes. "If you can't handle it, then don't ask," Klaus shrugs.

Both Stefan and I walk over towards Rebekah's coffin and stare at her. 

"I don't recognize her," Stefan says. 

Ignoring him, Klaus nods at me, then wraps his fingers around the dagger in her chest. "Time to wake up, little sister," he says, pulling the dagger out.

Five seconds pass by. 

"Any day now, Rebekah," Klaus says. 

"She's being dramatic," he says to Stefan.

"Look, why don't you just tell me what the hell is going on? I mean, you obviously want me here for a reason, right?" Stefan says. 

The confusion bubbling up inside him is threatening to spill over.

"Well, you have many useful talents," Klaus says. "Do I?" Stefan says. I nod amusedly.

"You do," I tell him. "In fact, Nik and I learned some of our favorite tricks from you," I say. Stefan shakes his head furiously, as if that will keep him from believing this.

"I was your number one fan," Klaus says, grabbing Stefan by the shoulder and leading him towards the single human guard inside the warehouse.

"Why should I believe any of this?" Stefan says.

Instead of answering Klaus turns towards the guard. "When she wakes up, tell her to meet us at Gloria's Bar. Then volunteer your carotid artery and let her feed until you die," Klaus compels him. The guard nods.

"Where are you going?" Stefan asks. 

"You think I'm lying, Stefan. But you and I knew each other. You trusted me with one of your secrets and now I'm going to prove it to you," Klaus says.

"How?" Stefan asks. I tilt my head to the side, for I am curious as well.

Klaus smiles. "We're going to your old apartment," he says. 

Thank you so much for 1.2k reads! Vote if you liked this chapter :)