Chapter VII: Melissa and the Chase

Peter finds the Sheriff with his nephew next to the dining table: "Sheriff, do you know Scott's mother?" the Sheriff nods as if to say what about it. "Would it be Ok with you, to be there for the talk about the supernatural? Scott wishes to have her mother in the known and protected. I also have something to apologize for." Derek raises an eyebrow at that, and the Sheriff accepts.

The Left-Hand then hands over a box to the Sheriff. "These are wolfsbane bullet. It can hurt a werewolf by poisoning them. It's for your own protection as law enforcement and member of the pack. I trust you not to use it on us." The sheriff appreciates the show of trust and accept the box. After that everyone start eating and enjoy the presence of pack.

When everyone is gone. Derek takes Peter to his office. "What was it with giving the talk and apologizing to McCall?"

Peter is fuming while pacing the room. "Did you know that the reason he doesn't like me is because of some misplace transfer. I get it, the 'alpha version' was still me. But I didn't do any of it. And it's really getting on my nerves, to receive his negative emotion every time I am near him."

Derek sighs. "Yeah, he isn't really opened to us..."

"He has male authority issues. So, having two older men tell him what to do is complicated according to Stiles. I am hoping bringing his mother will sweeten the pot and stop him from acting like a fool. We need him until Stiles accept the Right-hand position at least."

"You're really set on this..."

Peter hums. "Are you not agreeing to the choice? Who are you proposing instead?"

"I don't know. It's just, are you sure? I don't even know if Stiles wants the bite."

"Well, we will know soon enough. I loaned him a book on Right-hands. Anyway, we cannot propose the position, one needs to propose themselves from their own volition. The pledge will tie him to you as Alpha. He won't be able to change pack after it." Derek sends anxiousness and insecurity through their bond and Peter understand. "Is that what's really bothering you, Nephew? That Stiles will think that you are lacking as alpha and not propose himself to be your Right-hand?" Derek looks at his uncle with vulnerability and Peter seizes in conceal anger at whoever told him he wasn't good enough. "Oh pup, come here." Peter takes his nephew in his arm. "You're doing the best you can, you are still learning it's okay to think you need improvement. But that's also what makes you worth it, pup. An alpha that does not doubt, and thinks that he cannot make mistake, is the worst kind. You are doing your best, and you will improve every day with every mistake you make. And I'll be there every step of the way. Ok?"

Derek tries to wipe his tears to conceal them, without really succeeding "Yeah okay. Thank you, Uncle."

Peter smiles encouragingly "It's been a long day. Let's get you to bed. Hum?" Derek nods.

...

Melissa McCall is a gorgeous woman. There is no other word to describe her. Peter understands a little better why he asks her on a date, even if it was supposedly a manipulative move. Scott is glaring at Peter, as if he were going to do something to his mom, and Peter cannot suppress his exasperated eye roll.

"Ms. McCall, thank you for coming today." Says his Alpha.

"Thank you for inviting me. But I have to admit I am a little confused as to why I was." They move to sit at the table.

"There is a conversation that we need to have. The Sheriff already knows, that's why he is here." Melissa nods and has her mom expression that read 'out with-it young men'.

"What you need to know first is that the supernatural is real." And that's where Melissa expression turns to 'are you smoking weed' one, just until Derek flashes his eyes and the werewolves hear the heart of Scott's Mom hammering in her chest.