Four

As she had expected, Evelyn woke up in the middle of the night, sweat beading her forehead, bolting upright in bed

As she had expected, Evelyn woke up in the middle of the night, sweat beading her forehead, bolting upright in bed. Moments after she had caught her breath, James burst through the door, already knowing she was dressed and it was safe to enter because he helped her in bed.

"I heard a scream, are you alright?" James sat down on the edge of her bed, a worried tone in his voice.

"Yeah, yeah, sorry for waking you."

"Lion, your hair." Jame pointed to her hair, his look of worry turning to one of confusion.

Evelyn grabbed a piece of her hair, holding it in front of her face. "Oh."

"'Oh'? That's all you have to say? Your hair is brown, not white, and all you have to say is 'oh'?"

"It usually turns brown when I have bad dreams or get scared. I'm a metamorpmagus."

"Dandelion." James said calmly. "We have been friends literally since birth. And I'm just finding this out now?"

"Yeah, uh, my mom was one too, so that's where I get it from. Aunt Susie trained me to hide it, and I like myself better with white hair, which is why that's what I use all the time. Brown is my natural color."

"Still, Evie, you could have told me."

She just shrugged, hoping he would drop the subject. He did, and instead of leaving like she hoped, he walked around to the other side of the bed. "Scoot over."

"What are you doing?" She moved over slightly anyways, still confused when he laid on top of the covers.

"You had a nightmare, I would be a terrible friend if I let you stay in here on your own. Besides, we used to share a bed all the time when we were younger."

That was before I had a crush on you, Evelyn thought. "Alright fine. But you'll freeze, you can get under the covers."

James seemed hesitant, but did so anyways. He then wrapped an arm around Evelyn's shoulder, pulling her closer. She inhaled deeply, which went unnoticed by him, and tried to settle next to him.

Usually, this would have been difficult because of her racing heart due to how close they were to one another. But this time, it was what he said. Friends. That's all we are. That's all we ever will be, Evelyn reminded herself, before finally letting herself drift to sleep.

A/N: this is so short wtf

the last chapter was 2600 words and this was 400 I-

not only was I super unmotivated, but this was a super awkward chapter to write. it's kind of a filler, with a little more information on Evelyn.

but yeah, there you go. I'll try to update soon, and thanks to -ashleepotter for telling me to write lol

-Adelaide