Chapter 8: Reveal

During our training, we received an unexpected guest that made a loud entrance. Renji had found us and instead of choosing to fight us, he decided to train as well and deliver us news. Rukia's time of execution was moved to tomorrow at noon. A surprise to all of us, but in a way, not unpredictable after what happened. With more drive, I continued to fight my Zanpakuto, as did Ichigo. And through the tempering of my own intent and senses, I discovered who the heal among the two.

Out of the three of us, Renji was the first to finish, having trained with his sword longer than any of us. I was shortly behind him, however, it wasn't easy. The blond woman, despite her straightforward nature and eagerness to fight, never attacked with anything more than strength. She never took an opening, nor gave off any intent to kill. It came off as if she was playing around. The other one, who hid her strength well and pretended to be uninterested in fighting, changed the moment it was revealed.

When the sunny-haired woman was taken out and revealed to be the healer, she returned to the sealed form of the sword. Leaving the other one, the one with hair like the night, to no longer hold back. It was the flipping of a switch, her murderous eyes stabbed into my chest, her swift swings became stronger, and her quiet manner became solidified as she made no sound. Striking like a killer phantom.

Defeating her proved a challenge, but by mirroring her actions, and at times the actions of the other one, I found that fighting her was easier than expected. To challenge the silence, I needed loudness. To challenge the intent, I needed calmness. What I required most of all, was an understanding of who it was I faced. One side of the same coin, that is what they were, and as for my part, I had to learn where I stood between them.

"I'll be heading out," Renji said to me as I watched Ichigo continue his training. "You aren't going to wait for him, are you?"

I took a deep breath, "No, I'm just thinking about what it is I plan to do. Grab her and run, or beat the sense out of the people there."

He laughed, "Running might be your best bet since Head-Captain Yamamoto is sure to be there to oversee it."

"I'll keep that in mind. You might want to plan against Captain Byakuya, I'm pretty sure he won't show any mercy," I said, earning another laugh from Renji.

"There's nothing to plan for, I'll win with what I know," He said before leaving, sure of himself or putting up a confident front.

"If you go together," Yoruichi appeared beside me, "The odds of defeating Byakuya would improve."

"He didn't ask for help, so he doesn't need it," I said. "What about you?"

Yoruichi turned to me, "I'll help where I can."

"I see, then I won't rush," I said before sitting down, counting the seconds that went by. As the time drew closer, and I began to feel Rukia's weak spiritual pressure, I got up. "Ichigo!" I shouted, getting the attention of him and his Zanpakuto, "I'll go on ahead, get healed up before you head out."

"Yuuto!" He yelled back, "I'll be right behind you, so don't do anything reckless."

"Reckless?" I laughed, "I suppose I am thinking of something pretty reckless."

Making my way to the surface, I kept my presence hidden and made my way toward the final fight. On my way, I found the area Renji picked a fight, with Byakuya leaving him leaving on the ground, completely defeated. Someone had already treated his wounds, so I, using my Shikai, left behind a snake coiled around his arm. While doing so slightly weakened the healing factor of my staff, as long as one remained I would be fine. And continued on, heading for the execution grounds.

Hidden away from them, I counted nine in attendance. Of them, seven were standing beside the tall halberd that was tied to the ground. Two stood in front of Rukia, who appeared to be restrained, standing on a platform below equally tall wooden beams. At least five of them were Captains, leaving the rest to most likely be their Lieutenants. At best, I could take out a Captain before they notice what happened, but getting Rukia to safety came first.