1 - Beyond The Wall

"Where are we going!? We have been walking in circles the entire day!"

"Don't over exaggerate things please, I feel like we are nearly there."

It's been a few hours since the two young women had set out on their little journey. They had been dropped off by a wagon they were riding not long ago. Every time Verna went to look over at Shirayuki, her freshly cut hair threw the Blacksmith off, even though she did it herself.

Speaking of the Blacksmith, she had worn her Viking-like helmet on, but her Smithing Apron was replaced by some Steel Armor, the chest plate having some fur at the parts where normal metal would restrict little to no mobility at all. Her Gauntlets were Steel aswell, but with Blue glass patterns on the cuff. Her boots were like her Chestplate, Steel with fur at the top. She wore leggings with some sort of chain armor protecting her legs, not leaving her legs completely armorless, but not completely covered in armor since it was chain linked. She still had her iron belt with golden clasp, holding her sword. The Glass, Diamond, and Gold engraved in the handle was glowing in the moonlight ethereally. And lastly, her knapsack was thrown over both shoulders, but had a Wooden Shield with a Iron outline, and her grandfathers Forges' crest, or symbol engraved on it. She almost engraved everything with her grandfathers symbol. She didn't now what it was or what it represented, but she kept it close to her, and marked it with his- no -HER symbol.

Verna looked like a Knight, which stood out from Shirayuki, who looked like a Princess in peasant clothing. No matter what she may wear, rags, aprons, and the works, she will always be so beautiful.

Guess some people are just built like that, huh? People can pay so much to be beautiful. For instance, a gleaming, shiny blade is worth more than a thin, rusty, and dull blade. People can oil it, reforge it, and sharpen it, but it can never retain that same glory as the sword for a noble.

"We got 2 more hours until it gets dark." Verna calculated. Shirayuki kept walking forward with a determined gaze. The warrior will see the red-headed girl glance up at the sunset-lit trees, fallen leaves, pretty flowers, and delicate animals every once in a while.

They were debating where to set up their camp, everytime saying, "We can walk for another ten minutes or so." and then restarting the cycle.

Both girls were starting to get tired of walking and desperately needed to sleep.

Luckily, they had found a little cottage in the heart of the woods. A cute little place covered in greenery, vines, grass, moss, and flowers.

It seemed uninhabited. That, or the people inside were dead asleep, or gone. They sat on the wall with the door, and Shirayuki laid down.

"It's getting late..." Shirayuki started, but both of their stomachs went off at the same time.

"And we're getting hungry." Verna finished.

Since Shirayuki was there, Verna would not take off her helmet. Just thinking about it brought it up, raising the question.

"Why don't you take it off? Your helmet, I mean?" Shirayuki asked tiredly and curiously, laying her head on her bag of belongings.

Verna looked over her shoulder to look at the green eyed girl, and turned back.

"I feel... safer. Being attacked-wise and self-wise. Makes me feel stronger, braver, and better about myself."

"Yeah, but doesn't it get uncomfortable? For as long as I've known you, you've always worn your Chain Helmet."

"It does sometimes. Mainly when working the forge. It gets hot and heavy, and gives me a headache sometimes. Not something much to worry about."