Chapter 4

300 Years Before Rimuru's Reincarnation

A century passed and Veldora found that he and Y/N had made absolutely no progress whatsoever. Whether it was because he kept chickening out of making moves or because he was so conscious of her that he couldn't even talk normally, he wasn't sure. All he knew was that he was frustrated with how much of a coward he was. She practically already stated her feelings (albeit not to him directly), so what more did he have to fear?

Y/N sighed in her (f/c) dragon form, watching as Veldora slightly glanced her way before stomping off into the forest without so much as a word to her. He had been acting like this for almost a whole century, though it had been quite subtle at first. Now, Y/N couldn't just pretend to not notice anymore.

It started with him avoiding eye contact. Y/N thought nothing of it except perhaps Veldora being his proud self as usual. Then it progressed to him avoiding her touch. Y/N had been horribly depressed when it first happened, but it fled her mind when he had shyly said something along the lines of allowing her to hold onto the sleeve of the great True Dragon of Jura Forest.

Now, however, there was no way to find any reason to his behavior. The male dragon had straight up started running away from her. He no longer pestered her about going to town and he seemed to always avoid her presence. It made things horribly suffocating and Y/N had started considering moving on. She took this as a rejection, and as much as it hurt her heart to think so, she wanted to move on as soon as possible to deter the pain in her dragon heart.

Y/N waited for days, hoping Veldora would have some sort of explanation for her as to why he was acting like he did. She loved the dragon to the point where she didn't want to think about leaving him, but she also didn't want to deal with the stinging in her hear.

Fed up, Y/N decided finally that today was the day she would confront him.

Veldora, she called, poking her head into the entrance of his cave in her large dragon form. His blue-hued figure was curled in a ball in the middle of the warm cavern.

As soon as her voice rang through the area, Veldora shot up from his position, his golden eyes immediately landing on the (f/c)-hued dragon.

Y/N.

Had Veldora been in his human mimic, his face would've been visibly flushed red. Thankfully, in his dragon form, it wasn't very obvious. His eyes flickered to the exit behind Y/N, his flight instinct triggering as he felt the familiar feeling of his heart pounding.

Veldora, can we talk? Y/N asked, her voice soft and her large dragon tail lightly curling around her back leg out of a slight bit of fear of rejection.

Now? Don't you know that a True Dragon like me is busy? Veldora panicked, his mind blanking as he allowed words to spew out. What was he saying? Both he and Y/N knew he wasn't busy. He's been bored for centuries on centuries until Y/N came. What was he saying?!

Y/N sighed, her reptilian orbs shifting to the floor as she dejectedly nodded. Yes, she knew Veldora wasn't actually busy, but what was she to do if he didn't want to talk to her?

Okay. She nodded. I just wanted to tell you that I'm planning on leaving the Jura Forest.

Veldora felt his blood drain. His golden eyes stared her down, his words stuck in his throat as he tried to process her words.

What? You're leaving?

Yes. Y/N didn't want to look at him. Her heart ached as she mentally told herself she had been rejected before she even confessed.