3. The creator, chief engineer Brett

Chief Engineer Brett Yang had admired his father all his life. Not only for his creativity but also for the passion he had to create things to enhance and improve the quality of life of people.

While Yang Industries specialised in medical devices, they would often have side projects such as the 3D art pen that they created 15 years ago. Brett remembered this particular side project very well as he was an intern at Yang Industries at the time and his honours thesis was based on the design and creation of the 3D art pen.

This was not a conventional 3D pen used to draw three-dimensional shapes, but an art pen for a visually impaired person to enjoy drawing with ink that turned into different textures in lieu of using different colours.

Most of Brett's effort went into the composition of the resin for the "ink" of the 3D pen, not the design of the pen itself. He had to carefully formulate the ink which would change textures by agitation or by whisking with the pen tip. His research project was based on complex fluid dynamics because of this special ink and he also ensured he designed an aesthetically pleasing pen casing with the help of another engineer.

The cylindrical casing of the pen was designed with various curves and groves that gave interesting textures for those with visual impairments to enjoy. Brett was very proud of the overall design and his thesis was received very well from the faculty, awarding him first-class honours.

He was later blown away when the toy market flooded with the more commonly known "3D pens" about 5 years later.

"Ooooh, so they came up with a pen that actually can draw 3D shapes..as in the 3rd dimension !!"

"Yes, I suppose it's cute I can see why it's a popular thing. But really, what they've done is just miniaturised a 3D printer, which has been around since the 1980s. I like your 3D art pen better, son."

Brett smiled.

"Thanks, Dad. You saying that means a lot to me."

So when Brett learnt that a 12 year old girl kept the pamphlet of their art pen, saying he was delighted was an understatement. He imagined her being an inquisitive youngster like he was. He hoped to organise a good tour for her and inspire her to want to grow up to become an engineer.

Brett could hardly wait till next week to meet her.

It's been a week since Brett received the phone call from Eddy Chen and today was the day Eddy was visiting Yang Industries with his 12 year old daughter.

Brett was wearing his company business shirt with the Yang Industries company logo embroidery on his left chest. Ordinarily, he wasn't a fan of these shirts and preferred to wear his own clothes that fit him better but today he donned it rather proudly, besides, it was protocol for when he gave tours.

Brett sprung to his feet when the phone on his desk beeped and Sandy the receptionist called him on the internal PA system.

"Mr Yang, to reception please."

At Yang industries, Brett was referred to as Mr Yang, his father as President Yang.

Brett rolled his shoulders a couple of times in an attempt to loosen up a bit and relax, he then grabbed the small goodies bag the company had prepared for the young tour visitors and headed towards the reception area.

At the reception, he saw an Asian man sitting with a young girl in the waiting area. They both turned towards him as Brett approached his visitors and they both gave Brett a similar-looking shy smile. The visiting man stood up, turned towards his daughter and encouraged her to stand up as well. He smiled again and extended his hand towards Brett.

"Mr Yang. Eddy Chen. Thank you for letting us visit your company today."

The two men shook hands. Eddy was tall and was dressed in a business shirt and tie as if he came in for a business meeting.

"Mr Chen. Please call me Brett. Nice to meet you."

"Brett. Well, I insist you call me Eddy then. And this is my daughter, Caitlyn."

"Hello Caitlyn, welcome to Yang Industries. So nice to meet you..."

Brett smiled towards the little girl and extended his hand towards her for a handshake and froze for a very, very brief moment. Caitlyn's right hand was a prosthetic. It was bright pink. Brett thought it looked like it was made of some kind of polymer with a beautifully smooth sheen with very functional looking joints. He had never seen anything like it.

"Hello, Mr Yang. Nice to meet you..!!"

As Caitlyn shook hands with Brett with her right prosthetic hand, she also made a point to place her left hand on top of Brett's hand. He felt the warmth and softness of the little girl's left hand and smiled.

"Caitlyn, you have beautiful hands."

A smile spread through Caitlyn's face. When she let go of Brett's hand, she waved with her right prosthetic hand and wriggled her fingers.

"Thank you, Mr Yang. My Dad made this one for me."

Eddy smiled.

Brett turned to Eddy.

"Eddy..? You made Caitlyn's prosthetic?"

Eddy shyly replied.

"Yes"

He made the prosthetic? He makes prosthetics ?? I thought he was a commercial vehicle designer..?

Brett looked at Eddy in awe and with a tinge of suspicion.