In Which L Does Not Need Friends, Thank You

Light is, infuriatingly, very smart. He answers questions as fast as L does, and sometimes even faster. His questions are pointed and he's goddamn brilliant. Because of course he is. Teachers and students alike warm up to him immediately. L wants to strangle him.

Maybe that's unfair. Light seems nice enough, if a bit bored by the world around him. He always smiles and phrases his questions politely. He's the perfect inoffensive student.

L might even believe this image if it wasn't such an obviously shiny veneer. Light's polished in a way that nobody but L can see. He watches Light navigate their classes- half of which they share- with effortless social grace. L watches him with frustrated fascination. More often than not Light will ignore his staring. L knows he notices, because his shoulders will draw together and he'll hold his head higher, but he doesn't react. Sometimes, though, he turns just so to catch L's eye, and gives him a confused frown. Good, let him be confused, L's too intrigued to care about socially acceptable behavior.

Abigail's waiting for him when his last class ends, bouncing expectantly at the entrance to the room. "There you are! Come on, we're doing script reading today!"

"And I'm needed for this?" He can't suppress a groan. This stage manager thing was going to consume his every day, wasn't it? Abigail grabs his hand and starts pulling him along.

"Don't be a baby, Ryuzaki! You won't have to do much, really! Plus I know a few of the cast members are your classmates, it'll be a good chance for you to become acquainted with each other!" L digs his heels in stubbornly and refuses to go any further, frowning at Abigail.

"I agree with Abigail, Ryuzaki." L stiffens. Light pops up at his side and flashes a soft smile. "It'll be nice for everyone to meet. You're part of the show too, you know."

"I hardly think such a thing is necessary-" L is cut off by Light's hand on his shoulder. Why is everyone so comfortable touching him all the time? He shoots Light a glare. Abigail has stars in her eyes watching the interaction. Really, is Light that handsome to enchant her so?

"Come on! You're already with us, and it'll be fun!" She chirps. L is thinking up another retort when Light's hand plants itself firmly between his shoulder blades and starts pushing him along. He debates whirling around and punching Light in the face, thinks better of it, and starts to walk. Abigail is practically a rubber ball of joy.

"This is going to be great! We've got such a unique cast this time. I've never seen so many kids from outside the theater audition before!"

"Maybe you put up a freak beacon." L mutters under his breath.

"Is that why you're working on the show, Ryuzaki?" Light asks, playful.

L shakes his head. "I'm a hostage, actually, and I'll have you know that I'm very open about my freak-ness. You, on the other hand, try to delude people into thinking you're a lovely young man."

Light pushes him lightly. "I am a lovely young man!"

"Denial as compensation, spoken like a true freak, Light-kun." L keeps his chin up, haughty and proud.

"If you two are done bickering?" Abigail snaps her fingers sharply in both of their faces. "We're here."

"Oh." They are, indeed, here. L follows her into the theater. Light looks embarrassed to have been caught having such a petty argument, and L takes a moment to enjoy the shame on his face before turning away.

It seems they're the last to arrive, the rest of the cast is sitting around at the foot of the stage, chatting with each other. One of the students looks up at the sound of their footsteps. L recognizes him as Mikami Teru. His eyes skip over L and Abigail to land on Light and stay there. The intensity of his stare is concerning. Light, on the other hand, doesn't seem fazed at all. He straightens his back and bares his teeth in a winning smile. "Hi everyone!"