Light Gets Defensive

It's hot the next morning, August beating down on the pavement. Everyone is sweating. L feels even more stifled in his uniform than usual, having already given up on the jacket and tie in favor of only the white linen shirt and dress pants. The pavement stings his feet, he probably should have worn shoes today. L can't wait for the cool fall to settle and give him a respite from the heat.

Light is there as soon as L enters the academic building. He's leaning against the wall with a few other students, laughing at something someone in the group said. L nearly walks past when Watari's words echo in his head. He hesitates near the group, and that's enough for Light to notice him.

"Good morning, Ryuzaki!" He grins. L freezes, a deer caught in headlights. Running would be pointless, not to mention cowardly. L forces his eyelids to lower again— though he's sure Light saw the momentary panic— and cautiously steps closer.

"Hello, Light-kun." Light looks a mix between genuinely delighted and mildly confused. It's only a flicker of expression, but L gets the distinct feeling he's made a mistake somehow. He looks at Light's... friends? And they regard him with bewilderment. It clicks in his head. That had just been meant to be a passing greeting, and L's broken some unspoken social code. Well that was stupid, how was he supposed to know the difference? That in and of itself wouldn't matter, but the other students are staring at him and L despises the scrutiny. Being looked at closely, for whatever reason it may be, makes his skin crawl. He observes others, never meant to be put under the magnifying glass himself. He stops advancing and glances down the hall for an escape. If he goes now, he can play it off. Too late, one of the two speaks.

"You two know each other?" She's quite tall, with brown hair pulled into a tight ponytail, and her sneer is one L has seen before on many different faces, always directed at him. He tilts his head in silence. He's certainly not going to say they're friends, but he is curious what Light's response might be. Will he deny it?

"We do! Ryuzaki's part of the show with me." Light places one hand on L's shoulder. His grip is firm and can't be mistaken for a dismissive gesture. The girl blinks in surprise and L feels much the same. He looks up at Light.

"Well that explains it." The girl laughs a little. "Not the kind of person I'd expect you to hang out with otherwise."

Light's grip tightens momentarily. "And what's that supposed to mean?" He asks, a dangerous lilt in his tone. The friendliness is a bit forced now.

"Well, um," she starts to sputter.

"He's a little creepy, isn't he?" Another one interjects. He's bulky, with a head of straw blond hair. L feels mildly guilty for not knowing any of their names, as he knows he's seen them in his classes. The guilt fades the more they talk.

"I happen to think Ryuzaki is a perfectly fine person." Light challenges. L is entirely transfixed. The coldness from Light is new, has this managed to crack his facade, even just slightly?

"Well you would, you don't know him!" The boy folds his arms, as if that clears everything up.

Light's smile drops entirely. Whatever social politeness he had, it's gone now, and in instead of cold his face shows a genuine twist of rage. "Excuse me?"

"Look," the girl begins, "you haven't been here long, so you haven't really seen, but Ryuzaki is a total loner. Everyone knows he's weird. He's not who you should be hanging out with. You're really nice, but you don't have to defend him out of pity, Light. He's used to that stuff." She seems to realize L is still right there. "No offense," she offers half-heartedly. L shrugs. There's nothing he can really say to that, is there?

"And I should be hanging out with people like you instead?" Light asks quietly.

The other two realize they've made a mistake, but it's too late, Light is already off. "You've known me for two days, don't presume to tell me who I pity, or who I should spend my time with!" His tone is soft but his eyes are furious and L knows they burned red that time.