07 The Email

Part I Autumn

Kathy had some wild ideas when it came to costumes, and honestly, there was no way I was dressing up as an egg for Halloween. Kathy had come over to raid my mother's fabric closet and was currently sat in front of me digging through giant boxes of material. As she did her thing, I sat waiting expectantly, for her to bring up the archives. Instead, she was rifling through my mother's buckets of fabric, while I scrolled through her Pinterest boards. 

"Don't you think we are a little too old for trick or treating?" I ask Kathy as she throws some more fabric on the ground, "You don't even know how to sew, how are you going to make costumes?" I add glancing warily at the ever-growing no pile. 

"Who said we were going trick or treating, we are going to a party, and I don't need to know how to sew I can just glue everything together" Kathy scoffs, I roll my eyes and continue scrolling through what seemed like thousands of pictures. Most of the images were crazy group costumes that seemed like a lot of effort or very niche ones that nobody would recognize. I stop every now and then to either laugh at some of the ridiculous ideas like Aladin and his magic carpet or a tree and Bob Ross.

"A-ha, look at this!" Kathy exclaims brandishing an ugly piece of foe snakeskin. I think I visibly cringed because Kathy shot me a disapproving look. 

"Yeah no," I laugh, "Why don't we just wear the same thing as last year?"

"Samuel, I have never known you to be so boring" She teased, "What happened to that holiday spirit?" Much to my chagrin, she tossed the piece of fabric into the maybe pile along with some purple sequined stuff and a folded stack of beige shaggy fur. I shuddered at the thought of having to wear any of those. 

"It's not Christmastime, Kathryn." I rebuff, "Why can't we just watch movies or prank Teddy?"

"Because you looove me and I want to go to a Halloween party, so you'll go with me" She laughs returning to the fabric bucket. She hummed quietly to herself as she sat examining each scrap of fabric.  I sat on my mother's bed, with my lips pursed trying to focus on Kathy's vision boards. My phone was buzzing non-stop in my back pocket. I set Kathy's bedazzled phone down and pulled mine from my pocket to silence it. The buzzing only got louder as I fiddled with the notifications bar. 

"Who's texting you?" Kathy asked, "If it's your mom can you ask her to pick up some flannel on her way home?"

I grunted in response not really paying attention, as my phone finally silenced. I shoved it back in my pocket and began scrolling through Kathy's inspiration images again. She continued rifling through the bucket for a few minutes, before leaning back on heels. She paused for a moment, before spinning around to sit crossed-legged. 

 She looked up at me pointedly, "Is it John?" she asked concerned, "It's John isn't it?" 

"It's nothing" I reassure her, "Have you found anything that sparks your interest yet" I gesture toward the box. 

"What does he want?" She presses, "When was the last time you talked to him?" 

"Kathy, it's fine. He's just being annoying, mom gave him my cell number." I grumble.

"What does he want?" She asks again. 

"I don't know, I haven't read any of his texts." I tell her grumpily, "Can we go back to costuming?"