CHAPTER 1

Raven sat by the window of the plane as it traveled across the states. She had her book open in her lap as the soothing white noise of the aircraft helped her read.

Escaping the world by drowning herself in one of her books wasn't something she did often these days. But when she found out the publishing company, she worked at was sending her to an all too familiar city, she figured she was due for a good escape.

But despite the plane ride being a welcoming environment for a good read, she found herself unable to focus on the story in her hands.

Thinking of her past plagued her thoughts; the days she spent as a Titan. It had been almost a year since she had left the team, and while she had planned on staying in touch with her friends, things didn't turn out that way.

Richard and Kori had left soon after her, and while Raven didn't hear much from Richard, Kori continued to reach out often. But after a while the messages had slowly stopped and she was left only seeing them occasionally on the news, fighting crime in Gotham City with the rest of the Bat family.

Victor and Garfield had stayed at the Tower, training the new Teen Titans. Victor would often reach out to her, filling her in on what was happening in the Titan world.

But it wasn't long before his messages stopped as well. Being a member of the Justice League taking up most of the Cyborg's time.

She didn't know what happened to Garfield after that. She knew he wasn't with the Titans anymore, and she often wondered what he was up to. But because they hadn't parted on good terms, she found herself unable to reach out to him.

The sudden noise of someone sitting next to her jolted Raven out of her train of thought as she quickly turned to the intruder.

"So, Rachel... Are you excited to be heading back to Jump City?" Her coworker Maxine asked.

"Have you ever seen me excited?" Raven responded.

"True. I guess I just thought this might be the exception. Didn't you spend most of your teenage years here?"

"Yes." She answered. "But excited wouldn't exactly be the word I use to describe my feelings. More underwhelmed."

"Okay then..." Maxine responded awkwardly. "I guess you won't be visiting any old friends then."

"All my friends have moved on." Raven told her as she glanced back out her window, watching as the plane flew into Jump City.

...

Raven opened the door to her hotel room and as she walked into the space, she found herself surprised that her work paid for such a nice suite. There was a living room, a mini bar, and a large window overlooking the city.

She put her bags down as she walked over to the window, glancing out at the city below her. Memories of her and her fellow Titans fighting crime in the streets below came to her and it brought a small smile to her face.

There was a sudden knock on her door, once again disrupting her reminiscing. Raven crossed the room and as she opened it, Maxine barged into the room.

"This is honestly the nicest Hotel I have ever been to!" She said dramatically.

"I have to admit, it's pretty extravagant." Raven found herself saying. "I guess they really need us to make this deal."

Maxine began to nervously scratch the back of her neck. "Yeah, about this deal..."

Raven narrowed her eyes. "What?" She asked, crossing her arms.

"So, there's a reason why they sent us." Maxine said vaguely.