Part Eight: June 1st

As Kazuya stood in front of his grandmother's house, he thought back to the conversation he had with her last week.

*************
"Hey grandma. How are you?", he asked as he answered his phone.
< Fine, thank you dear.> She replied. < And you? >
Kazuya held the phone to his ear using his shoulder as he reached into his kitchen cabinets in search of some cup noodles. " I'm doing good."
< Have you been taking those pills that the doctor gave you? I don't want to hear that you haven't.> she added in a serious tone. Realizing that he was out of noodles and that he would have to go out to buy some after his call, he held the phone in his hand once again.
" Yes grandma. Every week." he assured her.
Kazuya knew that although his grandmother was usually nice to him, there were times where she would happily knock some sense into him. Just like another girl he knows..
< Good. Moving on, I wanted to let you know about next week.>
Of course, he already knew what she was going to talk about: His birthday. Usually, Kazuya would celebrate it with her at home. They would watch some home videos from when he was a kid, play some board games, and end with cake and... a recording of his mother singing her own version of the traditional "birthday song" that she sang on his fifth birthday.
Last year, his grandmother wanted Chizuru to celebrate with them, but due to grandma Sayori's emergency at the hospital, he left early to stay with her at the hospital. So he knew that she would most likely want to invite him to invite her this year.
< As you know, your party will take place next friday. I've sent out invitations to your friends, and they've already agreed to go.>
" Wait, what?" he asked. His only two friends, Kibe and Kuri, had both said that they would be busy that day and that they promised to hang out some other time to celebrate. " W-who?"
He could hear a small chuckle as his grandmother started. < Oh, Kazuya..your two wonderful friends. Ruka-chan and..I believe it was Mami-chan? Anyways, they're going to be coming. Why did you never mention them before? They're such nice people!>
"...."
<..Kazuya? Are you still there?>
He couldn't believe it. He should've known that Ruka was going to find some way to hang out with him on his birthday, but Mami? How does she even know her? The point is, Kazuya started to freak out mentally as he replied to his grandma. " Y-Yeah. I'm still..still here."
< And of course..> she continued as he started to make his way to the balcony, still freaking out on the inside. <..I've invited Princess Chizuru. Could you imagine if I even forgot about inviting her? I would never forgive myself!>
" You invited her? W-Why?" he exclaimed as he leaned himself on the railing. He thought that he was going to be the one to invite her, and he was planning on lying to his grandma that she was going to be busy.
<Because she deserves to go to your birthday party, of course!>
" B-But, grandma!"
Saying no more, she hung up on him while Kazuya was left standing on the balcony.
"... I doubt that she's going to come.. but if she does.. It'll be the best present ever.."

************
Now wanting to get his hopes up, he made his way to the front door. He was still worried about what was going to happen, but he needed to make it through the day for his grandmother. She had done so much for him in his life after his mother had died. When he introduced Mizuhara to her, she was so happy for him..if only she knew that real story.
Mustering up all the courage he could find, he used the spare key his grandmother had given him to unlock the door, and he slowly pushed it open.
" Surprise!"
Kazuya was suddenly surrounded by confetti falling from the air, and he saw Mami, Ruka, and his grandmother holding a white banner that read:

~HAPPY 22nd BIRTHDAY, KAZUYA!~

His grandmother was the first to pull him into a hug, followed by tears of joy as she held his shoulders. " Happy Birthday, my Kazuya!"
" Thanks, grandma." he said as she let go of him, and Ruka was the next to give him a hug.
" Happy birthday, Kazuya-kun!"
He was still uncomfortable with her holding him, but he still thanked her nevertheless. Last but not least, Mami placed the banner down as she went up to him. " Happy birthday, Kazuya."
" T-thanks..Mami-chan.." he murmured as she simply gave him a smile before turning back to help his grandmother with something. Although she seemed to genuinely be cheery and happy to be here, Kazuya couldn't stop thinking about all the things she had told him long ago.
' ... Again it's not like I don't want her here..It's just that she knows about the rental girlfriend stuff. Both of them do. Though, it seems like they haven't said anything yet. Speaking of which..' He thought as he scanned the living room, looking for a particular brown-haired girl. '..it doesn't look like she's here. What was I even expecti-'
Knock.