Chapter 2

"THE H5G9 OUTBREAK HAS GOTTEN WORSE. EVERYONE MUST STAY INDOORS."

Fires, smoke, people yelling, screaming, everywhere, it was a horrific sight.

Peyton peered out of the window, only to  see that houses were burning to the ground. 

"PEYTON, YOU HAVE TO GO NOW." His mother kneeled down next to him.

"I can't go without you!"

"YOU HAVE TO!"

"WHY?"

"IF THEY SEE YOU THEY'LL KILL YOU!"

"WHY CAN'T YOU COME WITH ME?"

"I HAVE TO STAY HERE, THERES NO TIME TO EXPLAIN! RUN! GO! I LOVE YOU!"

The young hybrid ran, he ran away from the neighborhood, away from society.

He ran farther and farther, until he tripped. He landed on the ground, his vision blurred as he stared off into the distance. Eventually his eyes closed and the world went black.

That was 2 years ago.

-

His eyes opened, he looked around, the grass was green, the trees were beautiful. It was another day. He stood up. He has been alone, in the middle of nowhere for 2 years. He is now 10 years old.

He rubbed his eyes and suddenly spotted something strange in the grass. Something yellow, he walked closer to it. It looked like some sort of plastic. He curiously picked it up, there was something packaged inside of it. He ripped open the plastic to see a mysterious brown substance, it smelt like food. He moved it closer to his mouth and took a bite of it. He couldn't believe what it tasted like. It was incredible, he's never eaten anything like it before. He munched on more of it, until it was gone. He dropped the plastic and looked in front of him to see another yellow object.

He ran towards it and reached for it, but it was pulled away. He squinted, and looked around. He shivered, hearing sounds behind him. He then was grabbed by a sudden force.

"What do you think this one is?! It's got feathers!" The man's voice yelled.

Another man replied, "It looks like a peacock! You think it could sell for a lot?"

"LET GO!" Peyton scrambled to get out of the man's grip.

The man laughed slightly, holding him tighter. "Did you hear that? It talks!" 

"I think maybe we should take this one to the lab! Operate on it!"

"Yeah! Good idea! Get the truck!"

The other man rushed off and the one holding him whispered into his ear. "Calm down kid, we aren't going to do anything to you. That part isn't our job."

Peyton was thrown into a cage, and put into the back of the truck. The two men got in the front and drove off. He tried screaming for help, he tried to break out of the cage, but no one was there to hear him.

-

He was carried into a strange room, and set down next to another cage. "We found another one, doctor. Do with it as you please." The man started out of the room.

"Wait... I- I have one request for you. Can you take the deer one back to where it came from? When you have the time?"

"...Why?"

"I... don't want it- don't need it, I mean."

Peyton glanced to the cage next to his, ignoring the conversations happening around him. He noticed someone inside of it. "Hello?"

The other boy looked over at him. "Hi." His strange furry ears perked up. "Are you like me?" He lowered his head slightly, revealing antlers. 

"Yeah. I think I am..."

"What's your name? I'm Gus."

"Peyton."

"Nice to meet you." Gus smiled softly.

The conversations continued. "One question... do you think we... we have to use hybrids for it?"

"Well of course, you can't figure out the cure without them. Since they're the cause of it."

"Are they actually the cause of it?"

"...Doctor, I'm afraid I do not have any other information. I've brought you all that I have." He left the room.

The doctor kneeled down to look at Gus, then at Peyton. His eyes were dark, yet soft and friendly underneath his glasses. "I don't... I don't think I can do this. I really... don't... I can't... hurt a child." His voice was almost desperate. "I can't hurt you, kid. I won't hurt you." He gazed at Peyton. "I know there's another way..."

The young hybrid was confused, but he stayed quiet.

The doctor turned away from them and left out of the nearby door.