Chapter Twelve

"Next time, we'll be in our suits, right?" Peter asked as he rubbed at his eyes. His nosebleed had stopped, but everyone was still outside. The sun was beginning to bother Peter's eyes.

"Yes," Tony said as he and Steve stepped by everyone to head to the field. They hadn't fought like the rest.

"Are we done?" Wanda asked, and everyone watched as Tony glanced up at her. He didn't answer and they took that as a "No."

"What's next then?" Pepper asked as she walked down to Peter. She handed him a pair of sunglasses. He happily took them. She smiled at him before she looked up at Tony. He grinned.

"Next, we're going to have a race," they all heard the chuff of helicopter blades as it flew over the compound. The blades created a strong wind, and everyone's hair whipped in all different directions. "The first one to that chopper wins!" Tony was hollering over the noise, and Peter noticed Sam resituated his footing.

However, Peter and Wanda did not wait for Tony to tell them to go. Peter jumped up and took off as Wanda raised herself and flew. Peter could hear the others as they took off and he reached into his hoodie pocket, grabbing his web-shooters. Peter clicked them on before he raised his wrist and shot Wanda in the back. He was aiming for the helicopter.

She stumbled and started to fall; Peter caught her. "Sorry, I did not think that through," Peter laughed and Wanda smacked his nose before she raised to the sky again. Peter frowned and tried not to focus on the pain.

The footsteps behind him got closer, and Peter connected a web to a tree. He pulled and swung himself closer to the helicopter. He tried to connect again and succeeded.

"Spider's got a connection!" He heard Sam yell. "Somebody get him down!" It didn't take long for Wanda to send a ball of magic to his web, and although Peter tried to reconnect, he had to brace for impact and slammed into the ground.

"Unfair," he grumbled before he jumped up and continued running. He was still at front besides Sam and Natasha; Wanda had even slowed down. This time, his aim for his teammates was purposeful, and he grinned as he jumped over the web that held them. "Karma!" He simply yelled and continued.

He connected to the helicopter once again and propelled himself toward it. This time, Peter wasn't sure what had knocked him down, and he slammed into the ground without warning.

"Fuck!" Sam yelled as he got free from the webs. Wanda won the race and Peter wheezed as he tried to catch his breath. His body hurt but he was sure that nothing was broken, and he took Sam's hand when Sam and Natasha came over. "You okay, kid?"

Peter winced and nearly toppled over as he underestimated his own weight. Natasha grabbed his shoulders to keep him upright. "I think so," Peter told Sam before he glanced back at the helicopter. The chuff was now boring into his brain, like a quiet hum that lasted a little too long and he couldn't forget the sound. He winced once again as he covered his ears, and everyone headed for Wanda as Sam and Natasha took care of Peter.

"You just are not having a good day today," Bruce Banner told Peter as he laid on the steps. Peter wheezed as he tried to laugh and he glanced at Natasha. She raised an eyebrow.

"That one month might take a while to get here," Peter decided and ignored Sam's confused look at Natasha. Bruce, of course, seemed to already know because what did Natasha not tell Bruce.

Natasha shook her head and reached down as Bruce told them to get him to the labs, "Don't worry. It'll happen, if you're less careful then whatever you called this."

Tony was already in the labs by the time Peter got there, and he beckoned everyone to leave them alone. Tony Stark was not happy, and Peter hoped that his anger wouldn't be taken out on him again.