Chapter 2

Chapter Two:

"Home is where you want to be, not where you were born." – Momma

Rhyker

I pulled over to the shoulder of the interstate under an overpass to check my phone. I had been riding the bike for almost ten hours already today and needed a break. Just as I swung off, my phone chimed. Jace, my younger brother, texting me again today wondering if I was actually on my way back home. Home, I hated hearing, reading, or thinking about that word. My "home" was the road, the club was my job, and my family was my father, my younger brother Jace, and the brothers of the motorcycle club. Other than that, I had no actual home to go to. It's why I chose to leave my hometown two years ago after the words of my mother hit me to my core. She might had been drunk at the time, and I was seeing too much rage, but before I knew it I was demanding for everyone at the church table to allow me to go Nomad. I've been on the road ever since. Working with the other chapters all over North America, and it's been...well I wouldn't say nice, but it's been definitely freeing.

I was just starting to text Jace back when I saw his ugly face appear on my phone calling in. I've got to get that stupid picture changed on my phone. Cracking grin at the picture my brother loaded into my phone as his contact.

"Yo Bro, just got your text. I'm just outside Louisiana, so I should be back at the clubhouse either late tonight or in the morning. I'll call when I get in." I said into the phone.

"Aight cool, I wasn't sure, I want to make sure I'm here when you get in. Everyone else is out on a short run tonight, and I didn't see you respond back." Jace said. I rolled my eyes.

"Dude, you literally just messaged me. I was on the bike. Just found a spot to pull over that had reception." I said back, stretching my legs.

"Yeah my bad, but I wanted to let you know that we're doing a party for Pops next Saturday, which means you need to stay in town for an extra week." Jace said, saying the last bit with hesitancy. He knew how I felt about being back in town, and to know that I would have to stay longer, well that's just great. It means an extra week of seeing my crazy mother around the club house, having to see my older brother, and be expected to play nice. "Listen, you can stay at the club, it'll be fine." Jace went on to stay, trying to make the situation sound better. It didn't.

"Yeah, maybe. Perhaps I'll just call up Luke to see if I can crash at their pool house." I said. The pool house was way better than the clubhouse. Less noisy, way cleaner, and didn't have a chance of running into the She-devil herself.

"Oh yeah you can try but, I guess you wouldn't have heard. Luke's place may be out of the question. His wife's kid sister is staying with them. Something about a serious car accident. They haven't let anyone over in a while since she came to town." Jace said. Well crap, I didn't know that Luke's wife had any family, or ones she would take in like that. Maybe I should just forget asking him, suck it up and stay at the clubhouse for now.

"Aight, I'll reach out to him once I get in, test the waters some and see where his head's at. Gotta get back on the rode if I want to make it back before church tomorrow afternoon. The Old Man made it clear I needed to be there for it and give an update." I said as swung back onto the bike.

"Ok, I'll let them know. Stay safe brother." Jace said as the phone call clicked off.

I looked back down at the phone for a second longer, having an urge to text Luke. Luke McDaniel was a good guy, his wife was the best when it came for good home meals too. It's the only things I missed when I thought about the past.

Luke's mom was married to my dad way back in the day after her husband was killed during Desert Storm. He had been another founding club member who was close to my old man, and made my dad, who was single at the time, promise to marry and protect Luke's mom, Luke, and Nikki who hadn't even been born yet. My dad stood by his promise for years, up until he decided he wanted to have a little too much fun during an out of state run and got my mother knocked up. Well, you can say it caused a bunch of chaos. Luke's mom divorced my dad and that was that. She didn't have any more communication with him until Luke started having behavioral problems in school then he was constantly hanging around. Next thing the club knew Luke was an official Prospect of the MC when he turned eighteen. Full member a year later. He was the brains of the club, level headed, the one who could think and plan out an entire situation. It's mostly the reason why my father wanted to make him the club's Sargent at Arms about four or five years back when our last brother decided to step down and move to take care of his sick mom. However, Luke surprised us all, even my dad, when he declined the offer stating that he didn't want that kind of "power role" over the club. It only made most of us respect him more.