Episode III: Preamble and punctures Part 6

The RAS Mornbright rumbled into the deep gravity well of New Cov, its hull listing as its repulsors fought for dominance. The remains of the Unlucky Second formed up as its beleaguered clones were relieved by the influx of reinforcements. The remains of the hybrid company stood in formation at rigid attention behind their three Jedi Commanders and their single ARC trooper. The company stood at the outermost airlock that provided one of the only passages between the interior of Illic City and the inhospitable planet of New Cov. With a shuddering thump, the RAS Mornbright connected to the airlock. After a series of explosions followed by a new trail of smoke emanating from the besieged warship, the airlocks on both sides opened up. At the base of the airlock, the Officer of the Deck stood at attention. It was a clone trooper, the Jango Fett genome was unmistakable, but he wore the green fatigues of a naval officer. With the open hatch, the Jedi Commanders began to step onto the ship. ARC-2411 a few paces later calling the clone company to forward march. As the Unlucky Second began its exhausted march from the murderous hellhole of New Cov. The clone at the airlock sharply stepped into the path of the commanders.

'Commanders. The captain requires all personnel boarding the RAS Mornbright to consult the Officer of the Deck before boarding,' he said with a rigid explanation.

'Very well then, what frequency is the Officer of the Deck on?' asked AJ as the clone stiffened.

'I am the Officer of the Deck sir,' the clone said, gesturing to the rank plaques that identified him as a Galactic Republic Navy Lieutenant.

'Okay, we're consulting you...,' DY14N interjected in confusion.

'You are required to specifically request the Officer of the Deck for permission to come aboard sir,'

'Permission to come aboard?' Rocky said in questioning behind the others.

'Permission granted!' the clone officer said as if a switch had been flipped. With that, the company reboarded the warship. It was a barren husk of its former self. Its complement of gunships had been destroyed. Engineers and maintenance clones rushed from point to point putting out spot fires and troubleshooting hundreds of faults.

As the Jedi stopped to inspect the carnage a voice rang from the hull 'Jedi Commanders to the bridge. Jedi Commanders to the bridge,'

'I guess that's us,' AJ said plainly before turning in the direction of the bridge lifts quickly followed by Rocky and DY14N. Their trek towards the bridge would be immediately hampered by the discovery that the lifts had been destroyed, presumably during the intense fighting above New Cov. Forced to take the warships labyrinthine series of ladders, hatches and passageways the trio finally made it to the bridge. The doors dragged open with an aged groan before stalling two thirds into the process. Aboard the bridge, the damage was even clearer, wiring stretched from end to end of the compartment. The holotable flickered and twitched with erratic power fluctuations. Officers continued to man their stations with intense determination. At the command podium, stood presumably Captain Marki. The three Padawans both looked at each other before shrugging as AJ spoke.

'Captain Marki. We're reporting as requested,'

The captain began to shake before lifting his hands off the command podium and turning to face the three. The left-hand side of his face was burned and scorched through, the edges of a botched bacta surgery and the glassy artificial eye clear signs of the field surgery performed on the captain.

'Commanders,' he said, stiff suppressed anger bubbling away within the officer clearly as he spoke 'I've been informed that you are under arrest for a number of crimes against the Grand Army of the Republic and the Jedi Order. As such, considering the condition of the RAS Mornbright we will be escorting you back to Coruscant for punitive action. During this transit, you will be stripped of the rank of commander. The remains of the eighty-seventh infantry company and the three ninety-second mechanised infantry company will fall to Clone Commander Winger and Major Santh respectively,'

At this, the trio couldn't help but stand there in silence at the reminder that these charges weren't merely a stern rebuke from their masters but a formal blight on their records.

'We'll talk to Commander Ret about the transfer of command and the formal arrangements,' Rocky spoke into the silence attempting to lean into the protocol rather than become caught in the emotions of the ordeal. At this Marki simply shook his head.

'Lieutenant-Commander Ret is dead. Killed leading a Damage Control Party two months ago. Chief Engineer Lieutenant Commander Morna Kir is the new Executive Officer,' Marki paused 'Also you won't be a part of the change of command process. I am under orders to confine all three of you to quarters. On the orders of Generals Mar and Alli,' Marki finished as he gestured to a Squad of Clone Troopers.

'Corporal Kiigan. Please escort Padawans AJ, DY14N and Rocky to their quarters. Once you're done, please find Lieutenant Wimmel and detain her,'

'Aye sir,' the Corporal formally intoned before turning towards the Jedi. 'Padawans,' he said with cold professionalism before gesturing to the passage across from him.