Chapter 14

He pushes a distracted hand through his hair, hoping that Taylor isn't going to give him crap about breaking protocol and going for a solo walk. Right now, all he wants to do is to be as alone as he feels. "I'm hungry. I want to take a walk and grab a quick bite. Let's meet back at the hotel, say about seven?"

For a beat Taylor wars with his thoughts - duty versus compassion. As good as he is at his job, he also knows Christian, and if experience has taught him anything, he knows that this isn't the time to argue with his boss. Picking your battles with a client is a lesson that many close protection agents would do well to learn, and he was relying on that now. Christian wasn't trying to be unreasonable, and Taylor understood that the constant presence of someone else was a bitch at times, especially when you've lost the will to stay safe. The second that thought flies through his head he realizes he's just nailed the problem, but after five years he has no idea how to make it better for the man he respects so much.

Finally, he nods his assent, albeit with a downturned mouth. He isn't happy about it but he could deal. In a final attempt to enforce what he knows is best for his client, he offers Christian the keys to the rental SUV, but he waves them off. "I'll get a cab," he dismisses before turning on his heel and heading in the direction of the zoo's food court, leaving Taylor to stare after him with an almost paternal worry weighing on his shoulders