2.20 | End of Line

There was something really odd about tearing up while cutting onions. It was as if the vegetable was created to torture you. As much as Margaret liked helping in the kitchen, she was going to avoid these devil's veggies next time.

"...Bill and I 'ave almost decided on only two bridesmaids, Ginny and Gabrielle will look very sweet togezzer," Fleur was saying from the table. "I am theenking of dressing zem in pale gold — pink would of course be 'orrible with Ginny's 'air-"

"Ah, Harry!" says Mrs. Weasley loudly when Harry walks into the kitchen. "Good you're here, I wanted to explain about the security arrangements for the journey to Kings Cross tomorrow. We've got Ministry cars again and there will be Aurors waiting at the station."

"Is Tonks going to be there?" asks Harry, handing over his Quidditch uniform to be laundered.

"No, I don't think so, she's been stationed somewhere else from what Arthur said."

"She has let 'erself go, zat Tonks," Fleur muses, examining her reflection in the back of a teaspoon. "A big mistake if you ask-"

"Yes, thank you," says Mrs Weasley sharply, cutting across Fleur again. "You'd better get on, Harry, I want the trunks ready by tonight, if possible. Margaret, have you got everything you need?"

"Most of it. I've just got to collect some of my homework from Fred and George's place," she answers, wiping the onion tears from her cheeks.

"Leave those," says Mrs Weasley, gesturing at the onions. "You better go now , so you have packed everything by tonight. We don't want to have the usual last-minute scramble in the morning."

Margaret nodded, pushing away the bowl of onions gratefully. She made her way up the stairs with Harry after her. However, when when they reached the first landing and were out of earshot, he stopped her.

"What's up?" she asks.

"About what happened at Madam Malkin's," he begins, "none of us meant to accuse you for what Malfoy's mother said. We were surprised was all. We know you won't hang out with the likes of them."

"Thanks, Harry," says she, slightly taken aback by the confidence in his tone. "I suppose I should say that to Sirius too? He asked you to talk to me, didn't he?"

"No...!" says Harry unconvincingly. "Okay, maybe. But only because he couldn't be here, and well, Ron, Hermione and I meant to tell you the same."

"Don't worry about it," she says airily. "Where is Sirius anyway? I haven't seen him this whole week."

"He mentioned something about meeting Dumbledore, but I haven't seen him since."

"Hmm... Well, hopefully he'll make it to see us off tomorrow."

It was astonishing how quickly it was already Margaret's second year attending Hogwarts. So much had happened between the end of fifth year and the beginning of sixth. So much more was going to happen in the next twelve months too.

Margaret wondered what she would be doing this time, next year.

Would she attend Hogwarts for her seventh year? Her duty might need her to... Or would she join Harry, Ron and Hermione in their quest to find Horcruxes?

The anxiety coiling in the pit of her stomach made her abandon these thoughts. She had time to figure that out. There were more important things to focus on right now.

At least she was about to see Fred. He always managed to bring up her spirits, no matter how bad she was feeling.

"Hi, Forge!" greets Margaret as she appears in their flat, ten minutes later. "What's up?"