Chapter Thirty Nine

Marcus ~

Fear took hold of Marcus' lungs as he and the rest of Charlie team heard Caroline's distress signal.

His veins filled with adrenaline, but he refused to panic because his Caroline needed him calm. She needed him to be logical and tactical in all of his decision making and he was determined to be that for her despite the fear that had wrapped around his spine.

Viper was on the phone with Nate instantly, getting a read on Caroline's location and Cooper's face paled in disbelief.

"We have to go get her." Cooper said in a voice just over a whisper.

"We will." Marcus confirmed, meaning that statement from the depths of his soul.

"No you don't understand if it's Hashim, I've seen what he is capable of. I've seen his victims. I've seen the women he's trafficked...we have to go get her now." Cooper said desperately as if the team was already aware of the gravity of the situation.

"Yeah we get that," Diesel huffed, trying to shut him up.

Nate had given them Caroline's coordinates and they were comparing them to the drop point on the map when the door to the room flung open.

"Something went wrong. Liz has been taken captive." Fox said loudly, signaling for Cooper to follow him.

Yeah we know. You set the whole thing up you fucking bastard.

Every man in the room exchanged confused glances as they tried to understand why Fox would out his own plan.

"Is it Hashim?" Cooper asked.

"Yes. He somehow got wind of the drop point location and ambushed Liz. He's asking for ransom and gave us a location for the exchange." Fox said flatly.

Is this asshole really going to stand there and act like he didn't orchestrate this whole thing?

Marcus' blood was boiling as he glared at Fox, trying and failing to control the rage he felt toward the traitor standing in front of him.

"I can get a bird there faster than a convoy, Cooper can you be ready to go in fifteen?"

"Yes Sir,." Cooper said immediately as he stood.

"You too Cordell. Thought you'd want to be the one to draw first blood." Fox added, sending waves of disbelief and confusion throughout the room.

He wants me to go on the ransom exchange? But the ransom is bullshit. Isn't it?

Marcus knew there was an ulterior motive but didn't have enough time to decipher it.

"Absolutely." Marcus replied, getting a raised brow in return from Viper.

"Fuck, I don't know what happened, but we've gotta make this right. We'll send in Cooper and Cordell first and I can have another bird that's thirty minutes out to take the rest of the team. I assume Hall wouldn't mind the four of you tagging along? We need all the help we can get at this point." Fox said directly to Viper.

"I'll put in a call, but if you need us, we are ready to roll out." Viper said, shooting his gaze back toward Marcus.

What the fuck is going on here? If this is a set up, why is he sending us to rescue her?

"Good, You've got ten minutes." Fox said to Cooper who instantly followed Fox out the door to get his gear.

"What the actual fuck?" Dallas said once Fox and Cooper left the room.