Chapter 13

Chara stepped back outside with Frisk right behind her. Feeling the cold air hit her face was refreshing after sitting so close to the bar's flaming owner.

  After taking a moment to stretch, Frisk turned to look at Chara. "So, are you ready to go?" She said with a warm smile.

  Chara looked into Frisk's closed eyes and considered if she should tell her about what Sans had actually "apologized" for. But looking at her smiling face, she decided not to, though as for why not, she couldn't say. Instead, Chara simply nodded and began to trek toward Waterfall with Frisk beside her.

  As they passed by Papyrus and Sans' house, they saw Papyrus standing in front of it, next to their mailboxes. Frisk waved cheerfully at Papyrus, who waved back equally as cheerful. The air around them began to get warmer as they neared the edge of Snowdin.

  As the snow on the ground began to get thinner Frisk cleared her throat, grabbing Chara's attention. She glanced over at Frisk with a questioning look while they both continued walking.

  "Chara, do you know why your LOVE keeps going down?" Frisk asked.

  Chara almost stopped in her tracks at the unexpected question. Thinking about it, she couldn't come up with an answer. "How should I know; does it really matter?" she replied.

  "You're not even a little bit curious?"

  Chara gave an annoyed sigh. "Honestly, not really." Frisk's smile faltered slightly. Seeing Frisk's cheery mood dwindling, Chara decided to humor her. "Maybe it's just declining on its own. After all, I haven't done anything to increase it since we woke up in the Ruins."

  Frisk's face brightened back up again. "I thought that too, but it seems to be too random, and I don't think LOVE simply goes away on its own."

  "Well maybe the royal scientist can figure it out, in addition to how we've gotten older."

  Frisk's smile widened a little more. "That's a great idea Chara! Good thinking."

  Chara internally rolled her eyes but felt what seemed like a tiny amount of joy at being praised.

  They had since passed Sans' sentry station and needed to cross the top of a waterfall. Rocks were falling from the top of the waterfall on the left, forcing them to avoid being pushed over the edge of the waterfall on the right. Halfway across, Frisk suddenly turned left and walked through the waterfall. Puzzled, Chara waited for her while easily dodging the rocks coming her way.

  When Frisk emerged from behind the waterfall, her headband was gone, and she was now wearing an old pink tutu.

  "Why are you wearing that?" Chara asked as she dodged another falling rock.

  "Why not? It's a protective piece of armor." Frisk replied as she rejoined Chara.

  Chara shook her head and waded over to the other side of the stream with Frisk following close behind. As they continued on, the path became covered in a large patch of tall grass. Halfway through the grass Frisk suddenly put her arm up in front of Chara. She looked over at Frisk, about to ask why she stopped and saw Frisk was staring up at the top of the cliff to their left through the grass. Following her gaze, Chara could just make out the helmet and pauldrons of an armored figure with their back to them.

  Before Chara could say anything, she saw Papyrus' head walk up to the armored knight.

  "H...HI, UNDYNE! I'M HERE WITH MY DAILY REPORT..." Papyrus said somewhat nervously. "UHHH... REGARDING THAT HUMAN AND UNKNOWN MONSTER I CALLED YOU ABOUT EARLIER..."