prologue

THE BEGINNING

esmeralda sat quietly beside shelly, her cousin, who played dolls on her own after she declined the offer to join. her attention moved back and forth between the dolls and the smiling boy sitting across from them watching shelly, not the dolls.

she couldn’t figure out who he was. she's close with shelly, yes, but she has no clue as to who the boy was.

while esmeralda's mother was born in england, she was raised in paris where she chose to stay and take up fashion design. now, estella astor, her mother, is a renowned designer as well as the founder and ceo of émeraud, a highly regarded fashion amd lifestyle magazine.

this means that esmeralda was born and raised in paris, only flying out to england during the summer. because of this, esmeralda, even at her young age, does not bother to care for any other little things aside from her family in england.

"who is he?" little esmeralda asks quietly as she eyes the boy who never once looked at her after arriving with shelly.

shelly looks at her cousin attentively, glancing at the boy with them, and answers. "his name is owen. a classmate, uh, friend." she introduces the boy, nodding cutely.

esmeralda just hums in response before staring the boy down. a friend. she has never had one. in paris or in manchester. well, other than shelly of course but then she's her cousin. her family.

little owen must've felt the stare when he looked at her, bright blue eyes meeting with rather blank green ones.

to esmeralda, the boy looks quite dumb when he just does nothing but stare at shelly. but when he isn't, he looks quite unapproachable. not quite friendly. so it must be that shelly is special.

but esmeralda already knows that. shelly has always been special. she's kind and pretty. she's also adored by everyone.

and maybe, esmeralda thinks, quickly throws glances at the two before looking down at the doll shelly placed infront of her, she wants to be special, too.

🌪️

author's corner
esme is back!