SIX

CHAPTER 6
ONE HUNDRED PERCENT AS STUPID

CHAPTER 6ONE HUNDRED PERCENT AS STUPID

GREER did whatever she could to quickly get through that dinner

GREER did whatever she could to quickly get through that dinner. She giggled, told Seneca her best jokes, charmed the socks off of everyone, but she couldn't seem to get out fast enough. As the sun went down, she was finally able to use that as an excuse, and her boyfriend kissed her cheek before she headed out the door. Greer looked over her shoulder right before she reached the exit of the restaurant, watching Leto lean towards his sister and laugh.

The train home didn't seem to go fast enough for her either. Her leg wouldn't stop bouncing up and down. She could practically feel the tapes burning a hole through her purse. She put on a brave face though – as always – and smiled towards every attendant that came around to fill her glass of water.

Once she descended the train steps, she hopped right into a car waiting to take her home. The sleek, black vehicle zoomed through the streets of the city, halting right at the gates of the Victors' Village in record time. Greer thanked the gracious driver and headed towards the gates, locking them behind her. She walked quickly to her house, which was hard in her high heels, but she managed. Looking around at all the houses with lights still on, she wondered if any of the peepers were watching her right now, calling her behavior strange. It's not like they hadn't before.

Greer finally reached her front door and locked it behind her. She also switched the second and third locks she had her father install years ago. He thought it was a little ridiculous, but extra protection was the only way Greer could fall asleep most nights.

She slipped off her heels and threw them into the corner of her bedroom. Peeling off the skintight dress Felix designed, she threw it in the same place and put on a silk pajama top and matching bottoms. As she brushed her teeth in the bathroom and washed her face, she couldn't keep her eyes off of the purse she so casually left on her bed. Her heart beat faster the more she stared at it.

She finished her nightly routine and finally approached the purse again. Biting on the edge of her nail, Greer contemplated if she made a horrible decision taking these recordings. It wasn't that she felt bad for stealing them – even though Leto hadn't exactly told her that was off-limits – it was that these were to find out the past of a man she just met. A man she most likely wouldn't see again considering how the Capitol never invited Victors from poorer Districts to events. But she was still fascinated, and she was going to explode if she didn't find out how this Haymitch from District Twelve was the only one to come out of a forty-eight tribute Hunger Games.