Chapter 19

Vlad knelt down on one knee, slid a ring over my finger and look up into my eyes.

"Solin, I know that this is not at all what you were expecting." he said. "But I want you to know that every action I make I do it for you. I know that this is not a traditional marriage, nor is it a traditional wedding but I wanted this to be special. I wanted it just to be us, your family to be here beside you to witness. I knew how much it would mean to you."

I finally understood the dress, why it was so extravagant and why Vlad seemed to almost insist that I wear it.

Vlad stood and stepped closer, his fingers brushed my hair back behind my ear. I had remained speechless since I had figured out what was happening when Vlad helped me off the horse. My brothers stood just a few feet away, watching us. The priest just inches smiling and reciting something I had not attention span to hear.

I was marrying Vlad. This was actually happening. We held each others hands, looking into each others eyes as the priest went on. But I heard none of his words. At times I felt my hands slipping away from his or going numb, but it was a gentle squeeze of his hand that kept me from fading off myself. I knew that if I did not pay attention nor keep myself conscious then I would end up missing something altogether too special.

"You are now married! Kiss her!" the priest said, he in fact had a heavy accent of which I could hardly understand, and I snapped out of it, both Vlad and I did. Vlad and I looked to the priest then back at each other we hardly knew what was happening.

"Do it or I will make you." Nicholai said.

"He really will." Jarek told him.

Vlad chuckled with a bright smile and he leaned in to kiss me. Our lips met and in a spark of heat it was magic. His arms wrapped around my body, caccooning me against him. Our eyes closed so we could savor the moment keep it in our minds forever.

Vlad and I rode together on a horse slowly into the village, with the shade of the clouds that Vlad magically called to appear in front of the sun. Everyone seemed to know about what had happened, what had taken place that day. They threw flower petals, brightly colored ribbons, danced and chanted. Their bright smiled, excited and wide eyes lit of the streets. There was so much life in the village from the people that it made all the houses, the walls and roofs seem grim.

"They're in love with you." I heard Damek laughing behind me, I turned around and he laughed harder, but it made me smile. I had no idea of how I should act in a situation like this. I had no training, no knowledge or experience.

"Are you happy?" I heard Vlad ask me.

"I am." I answered, "I am very happy. Are you?"

"I am happy so long as you are." he said, he turned and looked at me before lightly giving me a sweet kiss, and around us the people cheered. 

Never before had I felt as happy as this in all of my life.

The celebration of our marriage lasted into the night. With feasts and grand spectacles from the villagers themselves.

My brothers danced with some of the young village girls, drinking and eating just like I imagined they would. They laughed and sang, even Damek played a song on a flute that someone handed to him.

"Solin, sing us a song!" Velken shouted from across the fire, I snapped out of my daze and sat forward from Vlad's arm.

"What?"

"Go on! Sing for us." he said, tipping back his goblet. I knew that he had too much to drink, he always ever did everything.

"No, not tonight."