Chapter 31

Within two days we were capable of bringing many people here, some had even started setting up their shops and stalls, some farmers have even started to take care of the land and scour the ground and grass for stones. My brothers helped Bram reconstruct a barn that contained tools we may find helpful in the future.

I carried a pail of sudsy water into one of the many bedrooms, taking much of my time to clean. I found myself scrubbing at the floor the most and dusting off the windows as well. Some rooms were large enough to be ballrooms, others were small enough for children. There were no paintings of people anywhere to tell who could have lived here before us. All I did find, even remotely close to that, was a wooden locket with a baby's portrait inside. It made me sad.

Some women from the village came to help me change and clean drapes and sheets from the rooms. I rolled up my sleeves to my elbows, bent over a wash tub and began scrubbing stains away. It was morning, the sun warmed my back and sizzled at the nape of my neck. I was working up a good sweat and appetite by working like this. It kept me from thinking about my hardships and those of everyone else. It helped me to bond with the people who looked up to me, many of the women brought their children and as helpful as they were noisy it was calming. It reminded me of when I was growing up back home, helping my mother in the market and having laundry days in the heat of summer.

"Midlady, more people are arriving." A young man came jogging out to us from the castle. He looked winded and tired. I stood and shook out my hands before rubbing them dry on my apron. "They come along the bridge."

"Thank you. Have a rest." I turned him into the shade. "Ladies, would you mind making sure this lad does not pass from over breathing? He has done a good days work already." They giggled and nodded as I left. I rushed inside and found two brothers coming my way.

"It appears to be the remainder of our people, if not some refugees of Fibanck." Kristoff told me, stopping as I caught up with them. "I have men down there ready to see them where they need to go."

"Good." We came to a window that looked out to the bridge and I found myself in awe at the size of the caravan. Many people walked on foot, but some rode on the backs of horses. As they came closer I saw the children run towards the bridge in excitement. Plenty of dogs tailed them and ran in the grasses, but some also guided those of elder years.

"They will want to see you." Damek told me, rubbing my shoulder. "If they see you then they will be confident about your choice to be here, they will feel safe."

I nodded and went off to meet them. I knew my best choice of seeing them was to wait in the square. They would all find their way there, I would be able to talk and answer whatever made them nervous. I myself was nervous to speak with them, I had an impending fear that they would think my decision to move us here was terrible. I muttered to myself things that I could say to them, things that they would ask or things that trouble me. As their queen I had to be there for them in any way possible. Hopefully this move contributed.

Guards escorted me to the square, Bram was at my side the entire time. But when I asked why such a precaution he did not answer; he only told me to keep looking forward and focus on the village.

They greeted me with smile and plenty of affection; hugs were sent out among the children and kisses on the hand were given from men. The women curtsied before asking me anything or even just to say hello. It was too much a formality for me to enjoy, but I had smiled through the whole thing.

"Your majesty, these here boys would like to inquire about your military." An older man led three younger men up to me. "They hope to one day help protect the royal heir."

"How old are you boys?" I asked as a young girl clung to my side in a hug. "Are you of age?"

"I am eighteen, my brothers are nineteen." The one in the middle said, he had dark hair that twisted behind his ears and curled against his neck. He looked fairly young for his age, assuming that he was not saying that to please his father.