Chapter 17.1: Pre-Expedition

"If someone tells you to die, would you do it?" --- Annie Leonhart

[Third Person POV]

Since that awkward situation between Reiner, Aoife had been too embarrassed to even go near him. Even when they were outside getting acquainted with their new companions, she had noticed his eyes occasionally glancing at her, but she tried to pay no mind to them. She didn't like that he had kissed her ... though, were it under better circumstances, she might've liked it, but now she was only filled with questions and a heavy heart.

As all of the new Survey Corps recruits sat in the class-like room, their squad leader, Ness, stood at the front, going over the formation they were to take during the upcoming expedition. It was confusing to most of the recruits as to why Eren's exact position in the formation was not specified; however, they knew this plan was precise and they couldn't spend their time thinking too much about that.

Ness ceased in his lecture and turned his back to them, pointing his long straight stick at the upper right area of the semi-circle formation. "You recruits will be here, between the transport and search support squads." He pointed to the group a little further above them, then to the center. "You will ride alongside the back-up horses and be in charge of relaying communications."

Aoife finished writing down the provided information and drawing a small clone diagram of the formation. In other words, Aoife thought as she glanced back up and stared down at Ness, who turned around to face them again, we're probably the ones who will warn our comrades further away in case of the appearance of any Titans.

Furrowing her eyebrows, she looked over at the back of Reiner's and grimaced. From this plan . . . it's clear that we'll be riding into the centre of Shiganshina . . . for something that could very well not be there anymore? Her grip tightened on her pencil as she peered down at Mikasa and Armin. I know that we've grown since our last moments in Shiganshina, she thought, shifting her blue eyes back to her paper, we can only hope that we don't die there because of the Titans' numbers.

Once Ness had dismissed them, they were sent to their supper. They were each provided a small chunk of venison, a steamed potato, and a roll, with a glass of water---a pitcher at the end of their tables to refill. Aoife decided it was best not to sit near Reiner, so she sat with Sasha, Connie, Krista, and Ymir. Though, she might've chosen to sit away from him, the lad had situated himself at the table right across from hers.

For a moment, the auburn-haired girl had stared at him, her roll mid-air, just lingering in front of her mouth, before his eyes fluctuated over to her. She accidentally dropped it---the roll did what it was named and fell straight to the floorboards.

"Hey," exclaimed Sasha, who was sitting across from her, catching Aoife's attention. The eccentric girl was standing up and staring intently down at the roll. Jabbing her finger in the direction of it, she glanced over at Aoife, her hazel eyes seemingly blazing with anger. "You coulda gave that to me!"

Aoife awkwardly laughed and rubbed the back of her neck. "Ah heh. I-I'm sorry, Sasha," she said, as she bent over and plucked it off of the floor. "Do you ... still want it?" she asked, as she removed a small black hair from it and flicked it away from the table.

Sasha sat down and examined Aoife's face before slowly outstretching her hand. "As long as you don't see anything else on it, of course."

"Ar-Are you ... sure, Sasha? I mean, it could have a ton of ger---"

Sasha waved her arms back and forth in front of her and shook her head. "Hmm mmm! Don't even say the g-word; just hand it over," she retorted, holding back out her hand.

"If you say so ..." Overlooking the roll once more, Aoife unsurely handed it to her. She watched as the girl happily munched on the bread and smiled gleefully, as if it was her first meal after a week of having nothing.

Sighing, Aoife used her fork and cut a small chunk out of the venison and ate it. I guess we can't be too abusive of the pleasures we're lucky enough to have, she thought as she stabbed into her potato and split it in half. It's clear that the Titans have put a damper on our spirits and stolen many precious people from us, but that doesn't mean we have to pity ourselves and expect life to give us a prize we haven't fought hard enough for. Right, Grandad?

The girl smiled to herself as she watched Connie and Sasha fight over the remainder of his venison. Remembering a quote her grandfather had once told her, Aoife glanced over at Reiner:

"Nobody wants to die, Aoife, even though death's the only certainty we get out of life. However, in the meantime, we can cherish the moments we have with those we love and learn to appreciate all of their quirks and good qualities."

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

After they were finished with their supper, all soldiers retired to their quarters for the night. They all knew that tomorrow was the day they were departing on their major expedition into Wall Maria to enter Shiganshina District.

Within her room, Aoife was changing into a comfortable nighttime outfit and folding her uniform on top of her dresser, with her boots lying next to her bed. Glancing around the room, she searched for her new cloak, yet ... couldn't find it anywhere. Scoffing, she remembered that the night Reiner had kissed her, she'd dropped it on the floor and completely forgot to grab it before she left.

"Damn it," she whispered as she walked over to her door and quietly opened it. Noticing that there was no one awake, she near-silently walked down the corridor. As she was reaching for the knob to the room where she'd left it, someone had cupped their hand over her shoulder, startling her.

"Lose something?"

Without even looking over at them, she knew just who it was by their voice. Standing upright and firmly, she shifted her blue eyes over and stared up at them. Though the lighting wasn't the greatest, she could easily make out his stout figure and face. It was indefinitely Reiner. He hastily held out his left arm.

"Here," he said, speaking in a hushed tone.

Momentarily glaring at the object folded over his arm, Aoife placed her hand on it. Before she could remove it, Reiner had placed his hand over her cheek, causing them to lightly blush. Looking away from him, she grabbed the cloak and shoved past him. "Be ready for tomorrow," she said, quickly pacing her quiet stride away from him. "Good night."

Reiner stared back at her and watched as she hurriedly closed the door behind her, leaving him in the middle of the hallway. "Aoife," he whispered, his voice sounding oddly hurt.

Sighing, he turned down the hall and made his way towards his quarters. I wish it could have waited, he thought as he quietly stepped into his room, closed the door, still holding the knob. But, he thought, as he shook his bowed head, placing it against the door, then frowned, tomorrow might be your last, so ... I had to tell you how I felt before it was ... too late.

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

Can you feel the feels? Oh I hope you do, because I know I sure as hell am!

。・゜・(Д')・゜・。

Vote/comment if you liked this chapter! Feel free to point out any mistakes that I've made as well~