Chapter 5.1: Protect the Citizens

"There's something more rewarding about being a soldier, Aoife; you earn respect from those not brave enough to be what you are."

[Third Person POV]

"Aoife! W-Wait up!" exclaimed Sera as she raced across the tiled roof tops after her auburn-haired friend.

However, Aoife's eyes were fixated on the Colossal Titan's face as it swiped its massive arm across the top of the Wall, creating a cloud of debris and taking out all the cannons with it. The sixty-meter beast had already created a gaping hole in the bottom of the Wall, just like it had done five years ago, leaving an opening for the smaller Titans to enter.

"We can't defeat it, Aoife! We have to report this to our superiors!"

Aoife abruptly turned around and came to a halt. "Titans fall just like the rest of us, Sera!" She placed her hilts into her holster and latched two fresh blades onto them. "I understand that you're afraid, but first we have to check on my father. He should be able to help with evacuating some of the citizens to a safer location." She quickly sent herself to the building to her left and continued in that direction, in search of her father's small home. At least he'll be safe, she thought.

Sera, confused by her friend's sudden change in attitude, hastily followed after her. What's she thinking? she wondered. "Shouldn't we tell the citizens on our way to your father?!"

Aoife glanced over her shoulder, a worried expression on her face. "Go tell the citizens closest to the Wall, Sera!"

The blonde's chocolate eye widened with fear and shock. "I-I can't do th--!"

"Never say that you can't! It's a matter of perspective, Sera! You've the proper training and equipment to fend off the bastards---they do not! You save them and in turn you etch into their hearts a strand of hope and respect!" Aoife aimed her sword in the direction of the Wall. "Now, go!"

Sera stared at Aoife, her heart pounding rapidly in her chest from the bout of adrenaline welled up after her friend's speech and the mere thought of fighting Titans. Furrowing her eyebrows, the girl subtly nodded then sent herself off in the direction of the Wall. She's right, Sera thought. If I fear them, then I'm not living for what I've been training for.

Aoife faintly smiled at her friend. Good luck, Sera. she thought as she turned her attention back to the task at hand: finding her father.

Glancing back over to the Wall as she continued across the rooftops, Aoife noticed that the Colossal Titan had vanished, once again. Why must they do this? she wondered as she tightened her grip around the hilt of her blades. She swiftly swung from building-to-building until the tiny wooden shack came into her view.

Easing herself to the front of the home and dropping to the ground, she knelt down and sheathed both of her blades at her side then stood up. Hastily making her way to the front door, she knocked on it. "Dad!" she said, knocking four times. "Open up! It's me, your daughter, Aoife!" she shouted.

Liam stood from his chair and sat down his tin-mug on the kitchen table, then made his way to the door.

Hearing the footsteps coming, Aoife stepped back from the door and internally sighed with relief as her father opened it. "What is it?" he inquired, his thick, dark eyebrow raised.

Aoife sniffed the air that surrounded her father and shook her head in disappointment. "You swore you'd never drink to fill your sorrows, dad."

Liam placed his tan, brown hair-covered hand over his forehead and massaged the temple with his thumb. "Aoife, it's too early to be giving me lectures. What's going on that made you leave your soldierly duties to come to me?"