Chapter Two

"You know what I love about music, kid? You can always replay the same song and it will always be the same. Nothing will change because music is permanent, one of the few things in this crappy world that are."

I think I finally understand what he means now, thinking back on memories of moments with Miles and dad is always different. Details are starting to become blurrier and it is getting harder to remember their faces but its been less than a month. Although I can't bring myself to look at their pictures, I haven't been on my phone in months because the photo of Miles and I with dad at his first championship game is too painful to look at.

A sharp knock sounding from inside the room makes me jump from my thoughts. I take my time to put out my joint and then climb back in from the flat roof top jutted just outside the bedroom window. shutting the window behind me, I try to focus on not looking as high as I feel and grab a book, laying on the bed. "Yeah?"

"Its mom and Ellis." Mom opens the door and Ellis follows in quiet as a mouse behind her. Both carrying shopping bags in their hands, sitting up I make room for them on the bed and they set the bags down. Mom looking rather excited while Ellis looked like she was catching second hand embarrassment. "What is this?"

"Well since tomorrow will officially be your first day of senior year. Ellis and I thought we would get you some things to make the transition a lot smoother." Ellen grins and I won't like a part of me is excited to actually experience living with my mother, even if its just until I turn eighteen. "Thank you guys, really." I smile sincerely.

"We don't really know your taste so I told mom its better to stick to just hoodies and jeans." Ellis chimes in and I smile in gratitude. Ellen pretty much dresses Ellis in the morning and I couldn't imagine myself in the constant skirts and professional blouses. "It's perfect, thanks Ellis."

The hoodies are exactly what I would have picked out and some jeans dad wouldn't have been able to afford on our budget. A new book bag and some school supplies. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous to start a new school but school was the last of my worries, all I need to do is keep a low profile and these next couple months will fly by.

"You haven't unpacked yet?" Ellen looks at my unpack suitcases and boxes with a hurt look spread across her face. I scratch my head, not knowing what to say, "Um-I,"

"I'm sure she just hasn't found the time mom, she just really got here. Dad will be home soon, why don't I show you around the town before dinner?" Ellis jumps to my rescue and I'm a little annoyed by the feel of charity but I nod none the less. Grateful for a chance to get out of the house, away from Ellen smothering I am surely not used too.

"Well if you go far take the car, If you are going to be late for supper call, okay?" Ellen smiles a tight smile before shuffling out the room leaving Ellis and I in an silence that would have been awkward if I wasn't floating with the clouds right about now.

"I'll meet you out front? I can show you the school if you want."

"Cool, I'll be down in a second." Ellis leaves in all her pink skirt and white blouse glory. Throwing myself back onto my pillows I groan out loud. 'Dad, Miles, I really miss you guys.' A lone tear slips as I send my silent prayer. wiping it away I pull on one of Miles black Nike hoodies that still smell like the cologne he used to buy from the Spanish market. Sweet and spicy, I inhale it deeply and before pulling on my beat up trainers.

The weather here is different also, its warm with a slight breeze that breaks through constantly. Ellis is bundled in a gray knitted sweater. We take a white Prius parked in the garage. "This is dads business car but its more mine than his." I look around at the wrappers of junk food, random hair ties but what catches my eye is the red and black jersey in the back seat.

"Your dad." I mutter, choosing not to comment on the jersey obviously not hers.

"What?" She glances at me briefly then back to the road.

"Peter is your dad." I can't help how bitchy it sounds but I can't help it. If Ellis is offended she doesn't show it, instead she jerks an arm out towards the something out the window but the car swerves and I panic. Clutching the door handle I turn and yell without thinking. "Pay attention!" She regains control in less than a second in it takes half that for me to feel horrible. "I-I'm sorry." I mutter feeling the knot in my stomach grow.

"No, I totally understand. I got excited, you okay?" Sniffing I nod.

"Good, I'm really sorry. Uh- how about some music?" We stop at a stop sign and she takes the opportunity to fiddle with her phone before a popular song I can't quite remember the name of plays through the speakers. I bob my head to the beat and Ellis taps the steering wheel and this carries on for a while before we're both singing along to the cheesy chorus until we reach the high school and I try not to feel guilty about having fun while Miles can't but the pit in my stomach tightens into a knot and I find myself choking back tears any way.