Separating

The party was booming, Kirigan smiled as he spun Serina, her red dress spinning then hugged against her leg.

"how are you liking your first party my love?"
he smiled at her. Serina looked at him her pale blue eyes showed nothing but pure love and brightness. 
"I love it." 
She giggled and smiled, that smile faded as her old general made eye contact with her. 
"are you alright Serina? are you feeling nervous?"
she smiled her grip loosening. "Im fine....I need to do something excuse me." 
She rushed off leaving a confused and worried Kirigan in the middle of a dance. 

She walked into an office, the general following locking the door behind them. 

"general Martin....what do I owe the annoyance?"

The general walked to her, "you have grown rather weak I hope you know that?"
She looked at him leaning against the desk. 

"If that is all you needed then you can just leave."
"are you having fun?"
She took a step away from him, "yes....that is an odd question...you are clearly here for a reason." 
General Martin looked at her with a stern look. 
"you are being transferred....you aren't needed to be his guard any longer."

Her body tensed as she gripped the desk. "t-transferred I don't understand, the general himself gave me this post. I'm captain of the fleets guards."

"yes and you did the best you can. Kirigan has grown weak, the bear trap? care to explain that or how about how you and him got lost in the fold for six hours? Think about it this is a great promotion"
She glared at him standing her ground, one hand gripping her dress.

"Like I give a shit. those were missions protecting Grisha's each one successful...I don't understand why I'm being transferred! I am doing my job perfectly."

"Look at me Serina you have made him weak....you hybrids think you are so powerful but look at you, shaking like a little girl don't you get it?!"

he walked to her whispering in her ear, "You failed...."
Martin stood back "come with me accept the transfer....unless you want to cause another death like Henry."

She looked down her heart breaking, he was right. She's made him soft, how could he be feared if his own personal guard calls him a nickname and lays beside him. She failed and to protect him she had to leave.

"if you don't comply we will just force you...you really think I wont hurt him? He needs strength not love! lets go Serina you can leave the party and pack." 

"fine....let me say goodbye at least."
He unlocked the door, "fine but only tell him you accepted a promotion. I will see you at your base. end the relationship but don't hurt him too bad" 

He left leaving Serina there to process. She was letting go of the one thing that kept her pushing through, the only one who looked at her for her and not some mess up. She walked to the party trying to hide her tears. Kirigan rushed to her smiling 

"are you alright?"

"I am" She forced a smile "I'm being transferred I accepted a promotion."

His heart broke as he saw her looking for some hint that this is all one of her snarky jokes. 

"But what about........Why?"
She couldn't look at him, "Because this'll help the war and It's a big step for me."
She walked out of the party her followed her. 
"Get the wagon.....I need to pack."
a guard nodded and rushed off, Kirigan grabbed her wrist. 

"what happened to you and I? all issues we face together Serina! Are you ending this?"
She looked down a tear falling, her voice soft. "it already did...I am sorry Krigian....It's over you need to focus on being a general to end this war."

The wagon pulled up, she freed herself and walked to the wagon. He stood frozen,

"what about us finishing this war together?! You and me!" 

She paused not facing him, "we tried that and it didn't work."

She stepped into the wagon, "goodbye Kiri" 

She closed the door as the wagon took off. Her heart sank as she finally cried. Kirigan stood frozen not knowing what to do, his world crashing as the one person that saw him as a person and not a weapon of war....was gone.