36. Elizabeth

two hours earlier

"The least you could've done was dress up for me," Scott rolled his eyes dramatically as I jumped into his car.

I glanced down at my plain grey crop top and Levi's shorts then laughed. "Sorry brother."

"I bet you would've put in more effort for Chris."

"On the contrary, I would've put in less effort and just showed up naked."

"I hate you," he chuckled while backing out of his parking spot in my apartment complex.

Today marks my tenth day of no contact with Chris and I still have no idea what I want to say to him. With only four days left until our reunion, I decided to seek advice from the person who knows him better than anybody else: Scott.

After everything that went on with Michael, I haven't a clue where Chris's head is at. I'm not sure whether to acknowledge our flash in the pan of a relationship or just try to move forward without mentioning it.

The last thing I want to do is go into depth about the things Michael and I did together, including our afternoon of passionate sex. But I also don't want it hanging over us like a dark cloud. The only way Chris and I will get a fair shot is by putting everything on the table and discussing it.

While I wanna be respectful of my feelings for Michael, which obviously won't dissipate overnight, Chris is my top priority and I want him to know that. I just don't know how to tell him that I need some time to get over my feelings for Michael, which my therapist said is completely normal.

After spending months kissing, cuddling with and talking to Michael, it's a huge adjustment not having him in my life anymore and even though the choice was mine, I'm still allowed to be sad about it.

I sighed as I replayed my therapist's words in my head: "Just because Michael had all the positive attributes one typically seeks in a partner doesn't necessarily make him the right person for everybody. There's absolutely nothing wrong with ending a relationship that doesn't feel right, even if it looks perfect on paper. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with him, or you for that matter. It just wasn't right and that's a valid enough reason. You two simply don't operate on the same frequency."

"Hey!" Scott took his right hand off the steering wheel and squeezed my knee. "Did you hear me?"

"No sorry I was... thinking about... things," I blinked. "What'd you say?"

He returned his hand back to the steering wheel. "Tell me about Chris."

I bit back a smile, turning my head toward the window to hide it. "What about him?"

"Anything you want to share?"

"Um, I love him. Is that share worthy?"

Scott glanced over at me with a knowing look then returned his eyes back to the road. "Uh no. I've known that for a year. Give me something new."

"Wow. I was expecting a little more excitement from you. Thanks for not reacting to my big revelation."

"Lizzie, you've loved that man since the day you met him. Anyone with eyes can see that."

"Let me rephrase that. I'm IN LOVE with him AND I wanna be with him, officially. Forever. That's new."

Scott practically squealed, removing his hands from the wheel to clap. By then, we were already driving down the street on the way to my favorite restaurant, The Vegan Joint.

"Don't kill us before I can tell Chris!" I scolded.

"Sorry, sorry," he apologized, laughing. "So what's next?"