Chapter 38

Proofreader: Jesse

Wu Han Ying let himself in through a small opening at the door and took out his keys as he headed up to the fourth floor. The neighbors door was shut tightly, but he was still sure they could hear his aunt screaming at the top of her lungs at his 8-year-old cousin; he could only guess what she had done to have his aunt screaming strings of curses that even people from across the hall could hear clearly, it was something like why are you running without shoes, if you dare to misbehave like this next time I will blah blah.

Wu Han Ying jutted out his lip, screaming to this extent; even if one of their family members farted, the whole neighborhood would know about it.

Just after he entered the house he heard his grandma greeting him from the living room and telling him to come eat something. He had just filled his stomach with some buns, but the food had already been heated up. Wu Han Ying walked over to grab himself a bowl and a pair of chopsticks, then sat down and courteously ate whatever was placed on the table.

"How is school?" asked his grandma as she took two dishes out to the table.

Wu Han Ying vaguely replied, college life is basically the same.

He had just picked up a piece of food with his chopsticks and hadn't even placed it into his mouth when he heard a "thump thump thump" sound coming his way; no need to guess what it was, it must be his little cousin rushing over. The sound was followed by his aunt's condemnation, "Ning Ning, where are you going! Have you finished your homework?"

"Ning Ning, come here and draw. Your brother* will play with you after he is finished eating."

{Translator Input: I want to explain, Ning Ning is Wu Han Ying's cousin; Wu Han Ying and Ning Ning are related by a paternal relationship which means Wu Han Ying's father is the older brother of Ning Ning's father. In Chinese custom, if you're related by a paternal relationship, you have a closer kink, so you can consider your cousin as your own sibling. So it's normal for Ning Ning to call Wu Han Ying as "brother" and it's natural for him to call her as "sister". This information is understood with just reading the context of the story, but I don't think it's clearly explained in English. I wanted to put a note here to give everyone a good understanding of the relationship between Ning Ning and Wu Han Ying. Just so you know, it's weird to translate "paternal grandma" in here, it sounds like wording in a research paper instead of novel writing style, so I will go with "grandma" LOL}

Wu Han Ying pretended not to know anything; he kept his head down and continued to eat. His grandma kept on coaxing the little girl while she took out a dozen pieces of plain white paper from the cupboard and placed them onto the coffee table.

"Want to draw now."

Wu Han Ying wanted to take a piece of vegetable, but the chopsticks were suddenly yanked; one chopstick fell onto the table and then rolled off onto the floor.

"How is there still fried sweet potato?" His little cousin was only taller than the table by half a head, she tiptoed onto the table and aimed for the small bowl of fried sweet potato sitting in front. As she said those words her hands were grasping for the food.

Wu Han Ying felt his mouth twitching a bit, he originally did not want to eat and now he had completely lost his appetite. Her hands weren't only covered in dirt, they were also covered in colorful ink as well. He couldn't help being repulsed as that hand stretched out to pick a piece of fried sweet potato and put it into her mouth...