motorcade

28.06.1914

Austria-Hungary sat idly in the passenger seat of her automobile, her brilliant amber eyes passing along the paved motorcade.

German Empire had one hand on her thigh and one hand on the wheel. He was happier than she was. He hummed a folk tune quietly.

They had just been out to visit Prussia, and were staying in Sarajevo for the night, waiting to return to Vienna the following morning. The gifts Prussia had given them rested at Austria-Hungary's feet, bumping into her ankles.

Their youngest son Germany and their oldest daughter Austria were deep in a silent conversation of kicking at each other. Austria seemed to be winning.

Austria-Hungary held little baby Poland in her lap. Poland wasn't her daughter. It was a complicated story.

Around seventeen years ago, she had an affair with Russian Empire. 

It had resulted in one child: Ukraine, who her older sister Russia raised as her own daughter to save Austria-Hungary's marriage. 

One year ago, Ukraine had an affair with German Empire. 

Ukraine gave Poland up to Austria-Hungary, so that Poland could be raised by her father. 

So Poland was technically her granddaughter/adopted daughter.

It was confusing. And it hurt. But that was life.

"Mom! Mom!" Their oldest son Hungary whined. "Germany's kicking Austria!"

"She started it first, though!" Germany protested.

"When are we gonna get there?" Czechoslovak Republic questioned.

"All of you brats!" Austria-Hungary snapped. "Quiet! You're disturbing the baby!"

Poland was unrattled by the groaning of her siblings. In fact, she was fast asleep with her fists gripping Austria-Hungary's dress.

"But she's out cold." Austria pointed out.

"Shut the hell up before I drive this automobile off the road!" German Empire shouted.

A silence dawned in the vehicle. The German was frothing with rage.

She sighed and stared out the window.

Something in the rearview mirror caught her eye. 

A slight splatter of scarlet. A glimpse of Serbia's face.

She blinked. It went away from her view, but the image replayed in her mind.

So disturbing...

Austria-Hungary whipped her head around. Nothing was behind them but cars.

She wanted to say something about it to her husband. But he still looked like he would bite her head off. So she kept quiet.

The automobile bumped along the streets in a comforting way. She took deep breaths, and closed her eyes.

Something clunked off of the back of it. An explosion followed.

Austria-Hungary gasped. There was a large dent in the middle of the road, behind them, surrounded by injured people.

"Darling. Please, do speed up." She begged German Empire.

The automobile went slightly faster. So did her pulse.

She looked around. Everything was alright. Nobody else looked like they were going to bomb the road.

Right?

Austria-Hungary held Poland closer to her for protection. Not Poland's protection, her own. She felt safe around Poland. Poland was very strong.

She sighed. A small bang was heard in the distance.

Something hit her in the upper left arm, sending waves of pain striking through her skin.

Austria-Hungary screamed in pain. Had she been shot?

Was she going to die?

"Austria-Hungary! Austria-Hungary!" German Empire pleaded. "Don't die! Live for our children!"

"I-It is nothing." She whispered to herself.

It seemed to fade into darkness from there.

---

05/07/1914

German Empire clutched his knees to his chest as he reread the telegram from America.

'Dear German Empire. I am deeply shocked of the atrocious shooting of her majesty Austria-Hungary at an assassin's hands. I extend to you today, and to the royal family, and to the Government of Austria-Hungary the sincere condolences of the Government and people of the United States and an expression of my profound sympathy. -The United States of America.'

Austria-Hungary was sitting on the couch next to Prussia and parallel to him, her wounds still healing as she watched their children play. She would surely survive.

He was entirely for 'settling accounts' with Serbia, and was at Potsdam currently, waiting for the council on what to do to begin.

"Bonjour, tout le monde."

The door opened. France, Canada, and Russian Empire emerged.

"Hello, my dearest Canada." Prussia grinned. "I haven't seen you in a while. Same goes for you, Russian Empire. How's that revolution holding up?"

"My descendants are all the more terrible." He sighed.

Russian Empire's daughters and granddaughters, Russia, Ukraine, and Byelorussia, had been fighting against him to free the Russian peoples.

"Nice to see you too, Prussia." France growled.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." Prussia rolled her eyes. "Let's get on with this meeting, shall we?"

"Yes. Wonderful idea." German Empire nodded. "Kids, stay here. No fighting, no harming each other, just be nice and gentle. Okay?"

"Okay, papa!" Germany grinned.

Austria-Hungary picked up Poland. Poland cooed.

The six of them entered the meeting room. There were chairs arranged around a circular table. 

Prussia and France fought for the first chair. While they were bickering, German Empire plopped himself down in it.

Austria-Hungary sat beside him. Canada sat opposite them. 

Prussia and France scrambled to be seated, Prussia's black feathers flying everywhere.

"Why did you дебили invite Canada?" Russian Empire questioned. "He isn't involved in this."

"Well. He's married to Prussia and he's France's daughter, so he can negotiate so you all don't bite each other's heads off." German Empire pointed out.

"Fair." The Russian shrugged, seating himself next to France, his only ally in the room.

"Let's get started." France began. "A few days ago, Serbia made an attempt on Austria-Hungary's life, and Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie were murdered by assassins. Anti-Serbian sentiment is spreading as well as riots."

"With very good reason!" German Empire added. "They murdered the Archduke! They deserve to die painfully!"

France and Russian Empire gasped.

"How dare you!" The French woman spat. "Serbia is our ally! You can't just threaten him like that!"

"He shot me!" Austria-Hungary burst. "He could've killed me, German Empire, or our children!"

"Calm! Calm down!" Canada snapped, slamming his hands down on the table. "This isn't the answer to our problems!"

"Of course it isn't." Prussia shook her head. "War is!"

It seemed inevitable in that moment.