Some Good (and Bad) News

"Your Majesty, may I have a word?" Amelia looked up from her breakfast to face Ambrose, the King's head guard and military consultant.

    "Yes, of course Ambrose."

    Amelia stood and followed Ambrose into an empty meeting room in the palace. His stern expression worried Amelia.

    "Has there been another Red League attack?" She held her breath, dreading the answer to her question.

    "No, your Majesty," Amelia felt herself relax. "Actually, it's quite the opposite."

    "What do you mean?"

    "A photo of Princess Rose and Prince Balthazar strolling the palace grounds was released a few days ago. There's been speculation among citizens of a royal marriage, but no official statement yet."

    "And how does a photo and gossip require the attention of the palace's lead military consultant?" Amelia folded her arms. She didn't appreciate those who wasted her time.

    "It doesn't, but its effects does." Ambrose slid a piece of paper across the table to Amelia. "The latest reports of nationalist revolts in Nevani have shown a decrease of twenty percent since the photo's release, and violence between Nevani and Adaia citizens is the lowest it's been in almost twenty years."

    "I-I don't believe it." Amelia looked at the reports: they confirmed what Ambrose had said. "All because of one photo and a rumor of a marriage?"

    "It's possible that it's a coincidence, but to drop violence rates this low over just a few days after a speculation of a political marriage? Excuse my language, but that would have to be one hell of a coincidence."

    "Thank you for this Ambrose." Amelia nodded her head, trying to contain her excitement and maintain her composure. "Does my father know?"

    "Not yet, but I was on my way to tell him when I saw you."

"Thank you. I'll let Rose know and then I'll tell my father myself. I want to see the look on his face."

    "Of course Your Highness."

    Amelia felt herself practically bound out of the room. The lowest violence has been in almost twenty years! It's working!

    She saw Rose walking on the cobblestone path and ran up to her sister almost squealing with joy.

    "Amelia?" Rose laughed as she witnessed her sister bounding towards her. "A soon-to-be Queen shouldn't be seen acting so undignified." Rose was surprised to say the least; she hadn't seen her sister behave so happy, so excited, so... human since she was a child.

    "How else can I act when I'm so happy?" Amelia jumped up and down in front of her sister, clutching the report in her hands.

    "What's that?" Rose gestured to the papers Amelia was holding.

    "Violence reports. Here, look." Amelia pointed at the report.

    Rose took the papers and looked where Amelia had pointed.

    "Wow." Rose gasped. "I have absolutely no idea what this means!" Amelia and Rose burst out laughing. "But seriously, what am I looking at here?"

    "Violence rates have gone down to the lowest they've been in twenty years because of you and Balthazar!"

    "Because of us how?" Rose cocked her head.

    "Rumors of a possible royal marriage have been circulating and it's decreasing violence rates!"