An Interlude

"-so exciting, isn't it?" Ginger overheard a young maid question her friend as she passed their worktable.

    One week after the Coronation Ball and Rose's announcement of marriage, all anyone could talk about was the prospect of a royal marriage. The castle and the public were buzzing with gossip. Most major news channels had neglected other stories in favor of the royal engagement.

    Despite the fact that Rose had already announced their marriage plans to the entire country, Balthazar still insisted on an official royal engagement with rings and the works, meaning everyone was constantly on edge, wondering if today was the day that he would officially propose.

    Ginger, on the other hand, was more confused than anything. Yes, she had told Rose to consider marrying Balthazar, but she never thought the Princess would actually do it. Rose was in love with Felix. Anyone who was paying attention could see it.

    Even more confusing was the fact that ever since the announcement, Rose had been miserable and distant. When she was in her room, which was rarely, she didn't even speak to Ginger, and the young maid had caught the Princess alone crying more than once.

Ginger made her way through the workroom and found Portia and Nestor sitting alone at a table. She sat, joining them.

"Good morning Portia, Nestor." Ginger smiled and unfurled the collection of fabric she was carrying onto the table.

"Good morning sweetie." Portia looked up a Ginger and took a sip of coffee before returning her attention to her work. In front of Portia laid a magnificent pile of silk and lace.

"What's all that for?" Ginger gestured to Portia's fabric.

"Oh, well," Portia sighed. "With the royal engagement coming up, I figure Amelia will want to look as good as possible." She began sorting through the pile. "So I'm making her some new gowns fitting for the occasion. What about you?" Portia pointed towards the fabric in front of Ginger.

"Same idea here." Ginger smiled and began to trace the outline of a dress on a large piece of pale, yellow silk.

"I still cannot believe Princess Amelia wants Princess Rose to marry some heathen Nevani Prince. I refuse to-" Nestor was interrupted by Portia, who silenced her husband with a fierce glance.

"Her future Majesty, Princess Amelia, knows what is best for this country." Portia raised her eyebrow, challenging Nestor to speak out against the future Queen again. "If she believes that the best way to end violence between Adaia and Nevani is a royal marriage, then that is the best way. You should know better than to say such things Nestor." He hung his head in shame and bit his tongue, refraining from any further comments. Ginger hid the smile creeping up on her face. Nestor was always so prideful, so unabashedly confident. Portia was the only person in the palace, the only person in the world who could make Nestor shut up.

"So..." Ginger fiddled with a needle and thread she was threading. "They're getting married? For sure?" Portia lifted her head and crinkled her brow.

"Yes," Portia answered, peering at Ginger. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason, I just thought that... nevermind." Ginger shook her head, returning her attention back to her work. The two maids worked in silence for a few minutes while Nestor sat by his wife and read an old, tattered book. Eventually, Portia's head lay on Nestor's shoulder, nestled in his dull grey suit. Although Portia's attention remained on the fabric in her hands, Ginger could sense the love between the two older staff members.

Portia and Nestor had been married by King James Lovelle, King Ramses' father, when they were eighteen years old. Besides their shared determination and overbearing nature, Portia and Nestor couldn't be more different. Where Nestor was cold and frigid, Portia was warm and comforting. Where Nestor was antisocial and always had his nose in a book, Portia was extroverted and much preferred the company of others over reading. But, despite their differences, the two palace staff members were inseparable. They found comfort and happiness in one another.