Chapter 1

I do not remember who I was before then. I don't remember where I was born, who my mother was or what she looked like. My first memory was of an endless sea of sand and a humanoid creature covered from head to toe in rags. I later found out that they were traditional robes, of an eons old design that had served the sand people well in their struggle to survive the desert. I was their slave, they said, but it had never felt like the truth to me. I grew up into their customs, their beliefs, their language, but I never looked like one of them and this was to my advantage. To our advantage. The common tongue wasn't hard to learn, and travelers were gullible and easy to trick. Merchants were a little harder to deal with, but no one could resist the rare goods only the sand people could provide, and there were some things we couldn't find in the desert. I was the Tribe's only way into the market and their best bait out in the dune sea.

Merchants had been reluctant at first, a three year old child accompanied by a member of the tribe was a rare sight even for them. But we cut good deals, and more often than not, they were afraid to enrage whoever was with me. As a child I became the Tribe's bridge to the market, and thus, a bridge to their culture. Yes, we were raiders, but we weren't savages, and if you cut a good enough deal, we could even be friendly.

Of course my view on them was biased at the very least. They had, after all, given me my home, my place in the galaxy and my name. Their chief, A'Koba Foreas had been the one to raise me, and it was him who named me and gave me his family name. Kriari Foreas.

I was six when A'Koba got me started on my rifle drills. I had already learned everything else. How to find water, how to track a prey, the best places to ambush a trespasser. Still, even if the rifle was incredibly big for my stature, it didn't take me long to adjust to it. I wasn't as good as any other Tusken, but I could fend for myself.

That is how A'Vor found us: on our stomachs atop a cliff and shooting at rocks a hundred feet away. But A'Vor wasn't alone. He had brought an outsider, whom he said wanted to speak to our chief. The outsider wore good robes, expensive and clearly from the core planets. He had heard in the market of a Zabrak child living with the Tuskens and he had wanted to meet her. I studied him in silence as he spoke to A'Koba. I'd seen his kind in the market, he was a Kel Dor, and he was way taller than what I had expected. I was surprised when I realized he was making tusken hand signals. It was the first time I had seen an outsider speak or sign Tusken, even the people born in Tatooine didn't care enough to learn it. This offworlder knew Tusken, and even if it was a little rusty, he managed to communicate effectively. He was a Jedi, He'd said. I didn't know the word, and I didn't really understand, wasn't he a Kel Dor? I kept my mouth shut as the adults talked. He wanted to speak to me, and A'Koba agreed.

The Jedi kneeled.

"Child, what is your name?" his voice deep and gravely behind his respirator.

"Kriari Foreas, Sir."

"And Tell me Kriari, how did you come to be under the Tusken's care?"

I frowned, A'Koba had told him that already. Did he not believe the Chief? What reason would he have to lie?

"The Chief is not lying, Sir. As far as I know, my mother came to Tatooine escaping someone and left me with them. A'Vor found her in the Dune Sea two days later, she'd been killed."

"And you remember this, do you?" he pressed.

"I have no reason to believe they are lying. The Tusken may be ruthless, but they are honest and honor their promises." I said defensively.

"I see." he said, as he looked up at A'Koba. "Tell me, Child, have you ever thought of leaving Tatooine?"

This took me by surprise. As fond of the Tusken as I was, Life on Tatooine had nothing to offer me. I wanted to learn, to see the galaxy. I wanted to be the bridge, not only between the Sand People and Mos Eisley, but between all races, all cultures. I had spoken about this to the Chief, he had frowned at the idea of losing his one way into the marketplace. This did not offend me, I had been living among them long enough.

"Yes sir, I would like to learn as many languages and cultures as I can, but there is so much I can learn from the school at Mos Eisley." I answered.

"A noble pursuit, Kriari." he looked me in the eyes. "What do you think about becoming a keeper of the peace? The galaxy could use one such as you."

"A peace keeper? I don't like politics, Sir. I leave those to the Chief."

The Jedi chuckled.

"No politics Child, The Jedi Order keeps the balance of the universe. The Force is our guide. The energy field that connects all living things."

"That sounds nice, Sir, but I don't think I could leave. The Tusken need me to translate for them in the market." I answered dejectedly.

I felt a hand rest on my head as the Jedi stood up. A'Koba seemed to feel my disappointment.

"That is not be problem, Kriari."

My eyes widened as I heard the Chief's gravely voice speak in the common tongue.

"We learn from you enough. If you want, you go. We Tusken free people. You Tusken too."

I didn't have it in me to resist hugging the man. I had known they didn't think of me as a slave, but to be acknowledged as, not only free, but a part of the tribe was heartwarming.

"Well, it is decided then. Let us return to Mos Eiseley and set course for Coruscant." Said the Jedi. "You will not be needing any material possessions, you must leave your life in the Dune Sea behind. Say your goodbyes, I will be with the speeder."

I turned to A'Koba and hugged him once more. He knelt before me and put a hand on my shoulder.

"You are Tusken, Kriari. You will always be Tusken." He said in his native tongue. "The Jedi will take care of you, and you will become powerful and respected. They are the best warriors in the Galaxy."

"I thought they were peacekeepers. Can I trust them?"

"They keep their word like the Sand People, they try to make peace, but fight if they need. Trust their honor, trust their word and hold them to it. But beware, my child. Where you are going is more dangerous than the Dune Sea. Be strong, make us proud." He said as he stood.

"Yes Chief."

...

The offworlder was waiting for me by the speeder. He seemed in no rush and looked completely at ease even in an environment where he stood out like a sore thumb. As I made my way down from the cliffside, he watched me. I was only carrying what I had brought with me. A bag with my survival supplies and a rifle. The clothes on my back and the turban on my head flapped in the southern wind. The sandstorm would be here in an hour. My boots sunk slightly in the sand, my scarf hung around my neck and my goggles pressed against the bridge of my nose.

"Where we are going, there will be no need for weapons." The man said as I approached. "I will keep you safe."

I smiled.

"No offence, Sir Jedi, but I don't like being a burden for others if I can help it." I said as I jumped on the speeder and put my possessions on the back seat.

"I am Jedi Master Plo Koon, Kriari. And believe me when I say it is my job to protect the innocent, you are no burden." He said as he started the engine and began to back away from the hill.

I looked back to see both A'Koba and A'Vor on top of the hill. I signed 'I will come home someday' but their response puzzled me. Those words I'd never heard until then that would become such a vital part of my life.

May the Force be with you.