Chapter 9

During our stay in Dorin, I made sure to keep up with my language and culture studies. It was important to me since it had been my main motivation to join the Jedi order. So during storms, I would sit in my quarters with one of the few holocrons Master Plo had brought and study. I decided to focus on expanding my previous repertoire of Tatooine languages, adding both huttese and jawaese to the list. Once I had the basics of those down, I would get started on Ryl. The aim behind it was to be able to communicate with life forms even when in the outer rim, where the influence of the Republic was not as strong. That way, whenever Master Plo and I had to take a mission there, we would at least be able to fend for ourselves.

It was a lot of work, and a great mental effort, but it was worth the time invested. I was sure I would make good use of my knowledge in the future, and in many ways it helped me expand my mind and the way I thought of life and the galaxy.

Master Plo, even in Dorin, still had business to attend to as a member of the Jedi Council, so He would take this time to catch up to his duties and take part in any meetings where his presence was required. There was something big brewing, and one didn't have to be in the council to feel it. I could feel it in him. Whenever we had our meals together and he got lost in thought; whenever we were outside training and he would pause to feel for the Force; whenever we were turning in for the night and he took one last look at the sky.

There was something brewing, and I didn't know if we were all ready for it.

Eventually, there came a time when Master Plo could not stay away from Coruscant anymore. His duties in the Council were much too important to be dealt with at a distance. It was three years later that we finally left Dorin. All the friends we had made, all the lessons I had learned, all the progress I'd made I would be taking back with me to the Temple. I felt like a completely different person than the one who left Coruscant so long ago. A treat was rising, and a very important vote was going to take place in the Senate. The council had asked all its members to be present for the occasion.

I felt a little nervous to go back after all that time, but the joy of finally seeing my friends after so long outweighed everything. Even if I had held semi-regular calls with both Ahsoka and Nahdar over the years, this was very different somehow. Master Plo had noticed my attachment to my friends get stronger with the distance between us, and had warned me of the risks they brough along.

"Having friends is not a sin, Kriari, just make sure you are prepared to let them go when the time comes."

And I did, I meditated on it every night before sleep. It was a little depressing, but very necessary, I would not allow myself to drift into the dark side, even if it killed me. The life of a Jedi was dangerous, and eventually, we would all be returning to the Force. It was a part of life that I simply had to accept. We all die, sooner or later. I just prayed I didn't have to be there when they left. I prayed for an easy, quick, peaceful death full of acceptance and nothing more. That was the best I could hope for.

When we landed, Ahsoka was waiting for us, and as soon as I made my way down the ramp, she rushed to hug me. There were some tears and laughter and a little bit of teasing, but mostly there was joy and a renewed sense of peace.

"Thank the Force you are back, I was getting really bored in here." Said Ahsoka as soon as we let eachother go.

"I bet you were, didn't find a new partner to sneak around with?" I asked as we started following Master Plo inside.

"Nah, the Temple is full of goody two shoes, and since that time you put that kid in his place, everyone has been too scared to talk to me. Even after you left." She chuckled.

"It was a little lonely, but Master Jocasta makes really good company."

"She does know a lot, and unlike what people will have you think, she knows most of the Temple's gossip as well." I whispered.

Ahsoka had grown a lot in the three years I'd been gone, now at fourteen, she was only a few inches shorter than me, and already looked like someone's Padawan, even if her Trials had yet to take place. They would soon enough, but there was visible frustration within her that told those who could see it, she was ready for the next step.

Thankfully, Ahsoka had asked the Masters not to be given a new room mate, so that we could share when I came back. The Masters agreed if only because there was no immediate need for it. So when we entered our quarters, a sense of nostalgia and relief flooded me. I was home.

I put my things down on the bed and just stood there, taking everything in.

"So, tell me about Dorin. I'm dying to know more about it. Have you brought pictures?"

We spent the next two hours talking about my training with the Kel Dor, about the planet, the culture, but mostly about my training. But our time was cut short by someone knocking on the door. It was Master Plo, the Council wanted to check on my progress.

"You know, Master? You've had her for the last three years, you could at least let me have her longer than two hours." Teased Ahsoka.

"My apologies, little 'Soka. But the Jedi Council is waiting for us. I'll return your friend as soon as I'm able."

The meeting with the Council went smoothly. They asked questions and I answered them the best I could. More often than not, they asked Master Plo for an objective point of view, and for the most part they seemed satisfied. But then, they asked about my calls with Nahdar and Ahsoka. They didn't seem as enthusiastic then, and questions were raised about my attachment to my friends.

"I assure you masters, I meditate about it every night and my studies of other cultures have broadened not only my view of life, but also my view of death. I know I will have to let my friends and master go when the time comes. We all die, it's a part of life."

My answer seemed to placate them a little, but the level of concern some of the members of the council had was a little worrying. Master Ki-Adi-Mundo, for example, had suggested to make me cut ties with my friends forcibly. Thankfully, Master Plo had interjected. It was normal and expected, and as long as I dealt with them in a healthy way, there was no harm done. The entire exchange opened my eyes to the fact that not all Jedi were like my master, and I was incredibly lucky to have someone as understanding as him for a mentor.

I spent the rest of the day thinking about that meeting. There was a reason Jedi were not allowed attachments, I understood that, but it was a very grey area. Different people dealt with grief and anger in different ways but there must have been a common tendency for Jedi to turn to the dark side for the Council to take such extreme measures. It made me wonder what would have happened if instead of teaching to repress emotions, they had chosen to learn how to deal with them in a healthy manner. These thoughts I kept to myself, there was no point in making them question my place in the order over such small matters. So I kept quiet. I kept Quiet for a very long time.