welcome to the internet

We all pretended like nothing happened the week before. We acted like the whole group didn't walk in on me at my breaking point.

Instead, we helped Mike with his first ever phone.

He's lived on a farm his whole life, they didn't have internet. They didn't have a TV, a computer, an IPad, any phones, they had nothing but each other and animals.

We would write fucking letters to Mike when we were kids, like we were in fucking Hogwarts.

We all sat in Bill's house and helped Mike set up his phone. The screen was bright and shiny, no cracks were seen.

Mike swiped and ended up on a page of articles. I could practically feel the excitment and curiosity radiate off of his body.

'TOP 10 FAMOUS WOMEN'S FEET'

'10 TIPS FOR STRAINING PASTA (YOU WON'T BELIEVE NUMBER FOUR!)'

'9 year old passed today, was it murder?'

'WINNER OF THE BEST BROOM AWARD!'

'How to check for breast cancer.'

'Healthy breakfast options for a mom on the go!'

'HOW TO KILL A PERSON AND GET AWAY WITH IT'

'This is why women never fuck you.'

'How do they build bombs?'

'WHICH POWER RANGER ARE YOU?'

I sighed, "Welcome to the internet."

"Why would I need to know how to build a bomb?" Mike asks.

"That's a you thing." Stan mutters.

"Was the internet always like this?" Mike asks as he mindlessly scrolls through the articles.

"Nope." I pop the p, "I'd say circa 99' this was all catalogs, some chat rooms, travel blogs, but some weird smart guy thought it would be great if the internet was more complex, or some shit. Now, the big smart buisness guys have all of your information and robots will take over anyday now!" I fake a cheer.

"Just adds to the excitment." Mike says with a smile.

If i don't die by myself then the robots will do it for me. It's a weight off of my shoulders.

AN

-GROOVYLADY