Prologue

Bucky's POV

I woke up in a truck, strapped to a chair along with many others. The first thing that caught my eye was my left metal arm. Looking around, my eyes landed on one person who was directly strapped across me. Her face was covered in the same helmet that covered mine.

"Hello?" I asked, hoping one of these people was awake like I was. No answer.

Quickly, I removed the tubes attached to me and I saw that there were folders taped to the wall on top of each of us. I grabbed mine, shakily opening it and started reading.

James Buchanan Barnes... I had to assume that was my name. The file said I was 106 years old which sounded too old. I skimmed through and it said that I was "frozen for preservation until experimentations resume". The first page had every basic information about me. I moved to the next.

'Brooklyn'

The word triggered a flashback. I was at a bar, and all the faces were blurry except mine.

A woman came to me, handing me what seemed like something I ordered.

"Here you go, I hope this cheers you up," she said kindly.

I took the drink and chugged it down, got drunk and fell asleep where I was seated. When I woke up, she was sitting across from me. She looked relieved when I sat up.

"Oh, thank God, you're alive," she said, hand on her chest.

"Do people die here often?" I asked.

"No, you'd be the first." she said laughing. Her laugh triggered something in me... I don't know what it was. I wish I could remember what she looked like but it was all a blur.

"Where's everyone?" I looked around to see that the place was empty. The chairs were now neatly arranged and placed on top of the tables. No other light was on except the one that was directly above our table.

"It's 2 AM, we closed two hours ago." she replied.

"Oh, shit. I'm sorry, I should be going." I quickly got up and was about to leave when she held my hand.

"You forgot this," she said handing me my leather jacket.

And the memory was cut off from that part and onwards. Who was she? What happened after that?

'Hydra'

My head started to ache as memories came flooding.

I was walking down the streets and entered what seemed like a shabby apartment. When I turned the lights on, there was a man sitting on the living room.

I couldn't see his face, it was also just a blur. He spoke saying, "You can't keep running, Winter Soldier."

Winter Soldier... was that me?

"What do you need?" I said, jaw clenched. My fist balled tightly. I could feel my rage, my desire to kill whoever this guy was.

"Hydra needs you back," he set a folder on the coffee table and walked towards me. The man put an arm to my shoulder and the touch wasn't a friendly gesture but it was meant to threaten me. "Oh, and I took care of the loose end," he said, stopping right when he was outside and continued walking away.

Again, blank. Nothing came to mind after that. As if something was preventing me from remembering everything.

'Steve Rogers'

I saw a picture of a man, well, two versions of him at least. One was scrawny and thin, the other tall and buff. But, nonetheless, I could tell it was him in both pictures.

"Bucky, you coming?" he said. I looked at him in disbelief.

"I still can't believe you let them experiment on you," I said, exasperated.

"But it worked, Buck. I can do more good now. And besides, I'll still be with you till the end of the line," he said.

And it got cut off again, as if someone was snapping the wires before I could pull up a memory.

***

Just then, I heard a loud noise. I went outside the truck and saw mayhem. Everyone was running towards somewhere. I grabbed a frightened guard by the neck and asked, "What just happened? Where am I?"

"T-the Avengers stormed the headquarters. There're two on the loose and they ran to the woods." he said, stuttering in fear. I let him go and he fell on the ground.

My instinct told me to run to the woods so I did. There I saw a raven-haired guy with a winged woman killing the Hydra jet drivers. This day just got a lot weirder. Maybe they were my ticket out of here.

I ran to the front of the jet where they could see me, raising both hands in surrender. "I-I'm Bucky and I need your help to get out of here."

The woman got down from the jet, asking whether I could be trusted. I tried to wrack my brain for information when my eyes led me to the man on the jet with an inhibitor on his neck. My instincts told me to fish for a chip inside my pocket and I handed it to her.

She tried it and surprisingly, it worked. The man quickly teleported behind me and cuffed me.

Great. Just what I needed.