Margaret Tudor (Queen of Scotland)

Margaret was born on the 28th of November 1489 at Westminster palace. She was the second child to Henry VII and Elizabeth of York. Her elder brother, Arthur was heir to the throne. Her younger brother Henry will actually later on take the crown and become Henry VIII. Margaret was named after her grandmother on her father side Lady Margaret  Beaufort. It seems that childhood was nice for Margaret Tudor. Being a princess means she also lived in great comfort. And it seems like she had a good relationship with her family. Growing up, Margaret shows a love for music. And she learned to play severer instruments. When Margaret was still very young are when the most important things happen in her life. Her father Henry VII, along with James V king of Scotland sign the treaty of petrio peace. The ideal of the treaty was to stop the ongoing conflict between the country. It was also a political savvy move for Henry. He faced constant threats to his throne. Having had a weak claim to it in the first place. Having a treaty would mean Scotland will not support rival claimers to the English throne. Part of the agreement to the treaty was that Margaret would marry the Scottish King.  

Fun fact: The marriage was unpopular with the English people. As they worry it could lead to Scots on the English throne. 

As we see later this prediction came true. James was thought to be a pretty good catch. It was said to be charismatic and handsome. But he was about 16 years older then Margaret. There was much discussion about how old Margaret should be when sent to Scotland. At the time there could be females as young as 12 could be marry and along with marriage is the expectation to have children.  The King and Queen while wanting to ensure the success of the treaty did feel they should let Margaret developed further before she was sent to Scotland or until there were attempts to make her pregnant. Another one who wanted to get Margaret a little order was her grandmother Margaret Beaufort. She have been married age 12 with the ideal being she will be allowed time to developed before having children. But her new husband didn't feel like waiting. She actually gave birth age 13. Her son Henry VII would be her only child. It's might be possible that not only the physical and emotional effects of this may have her unwilling or unable to have more children. 

Lets not judge standards from the past but learn from them to make a better future. However, the thought of such young girls being given over to men in marriage and as we see forced to have babies when their bodies were still developing is one that I definitely struggle to understand. 

Back to Margaret Tudor. The young princess left London for Scotland and was married and crown shortly before her 14th birthday. Her first child was not born until 1507 when Margaret was about 17 years old. Which suggest that James respect the agreement to allowed Margaret to get order before getting her pregnant. 

Margaret's letters reveal that she was homesick which wasn't surprising. It does seem like over time she became more settled and the marriage was happy. James was so kind. Given her gift and making her feel more welcome. It's thought that Margaret and James had 5 children over their 10 year marriage. Sad though all but one died really young. Their surviving son another James who will go on to be James V of Scotland. Losing so many children most have been a big emotional hit for Margaret and James. Things got worst for Margaret when her father Henry VIII died and her younger brother became King Henry VIII. Unlike his father, the new king wanted war. And he wanted to take on England's longest enemy France. The reason why it effected Margaret is France and Scotland for years have been allies. The alliance between the two countries have started 200 years before in 1295. So James was in a very tough spot. Scotland which was a poor country had the alliance to one of Europe's super powers. And he wanted to honor it but his wife is sister to the King of England. Both sides were pressuring him for support. 

I feel Henry's behavior here I'll say were not the best to say the least. He had his own agenda of course. His actions won't of those of a caring brother. He seemed to have little respect for the treaty which remember was the reason Margaret became Queen of Scotland. Ultimately, James stuck to the French alliance and invaded England. But it would be a huge mistake. As he end up dying in the battle of Flounder in September 1513. Margaret was a widow at the age of 23. Before his death Margaret's husband had said if he would to die, Margaret should become regent to their young son but only if she remains unmarried. It got off to a good startand had her son crown quickly. Due to given birth to another son and an illness that followed she had a tough time fulfilling her regent duty's for a long time. About a year after her first husband's death she made what seem to be a very strange decision and married for a second time to Archibald Douglas, the Earl of Angus. Under the condition of the formal King she can only act like regent when she's not married. So by making this choice she lost her power. As if that was not bad enough, she must hand over her sons to John Stewart So she went from a woman with great power to one with the only power is being sister to Henry VIII. So what on earth possesses Margaret to remarried when she was aware of the consequences that will follow.  

We can't know for sure what was going through her mind There are possible theories. One: Ether she was forced into it or another would be she thought that she will be more powerful if she align herself with one of the most powerful families in Scotland. Another theory could also be that she was lonely and genuinely in love. Maybe it's a combination of all these reasons. Whatever the reason, I wonder what Margaret might have felt when things started to go wrong. Certainly it was known that she was concern for her sons. And what happen to the Princes in the tower it's understandable. Margaret who is now pregnant, decide to leave Scotland and return back to the English court. Angus initially travel with her as in fact return to Scotland. While traveling down, she found that  her youngest son had died. 

It must have create her great sadness. By the time Margaret have arrived in London she had given birth to a daughter. Henry welcomed his sister but it didn't suit him having her in England. He wanted her back on Scotland and back in position of regent so he can control Scotland through her. After about a year in London, Margaret returned to Scotland and to her husband. But on returning she found that her husband had been living with another woman. Margaret wrote to her brother complaining and intigating that she may want a divorce. Amazingly, the man who in time will have six wives begins the ideal of divorce. Despite for the couple to reinconsider, Margaret  Her refused to live with her husband which turn really hustle between them. And is said that Margaret even ordered canions to be fired at him. 

Margaret was prepared to do anything to get her divorced. She even said she could not be married to Angus due to the suggestion that her formal husband had still be alive when the wedding take place. In time it was granted to the annoying of her brother. Margaret was already living with another man, Henry Stewart. They were married in 1528. James V was now old enough to rule on his own although Margaret have remained a closed advisor and her new husband was made a lord. Margaret work to improve relations with England. Suggesting that James could be Henry's heir or married to his daughter Mary. But James while he love and listen to his mother would not be control by her. He worked on the French alliance and he married a French princess. Margaret seemed frustrated by her lak of power plus lak of money. Which she complained about a lot. 

So if you are thinking Margaret had an happy ending with her third husband then think again. Stewart much like her second husband enjoy the company of other women. Margaret again wanted divorced but she had little support on this. They remained married until her death. After which time Stewart had married one of his mistresses. 

As Margaret got older, she spend a lot of time with the family. She became closed with her son's second wife. It's interesting to look back about Henry was so obsessed to carry out the Tudor line but he was somewhat unsuccessful. Less then 60 years after his death the Tudor line finished. It was Margaret's great grandson who was also King of Scotland who would take the English throne after the end of the Tudors. 

Fun Fact: Our current Queen Elizabeth II is the descendant from Margaret. I feel in history, Margaret has often overlooked as in fact her younger sister Mary. But both women were queens and deserved more attention in my view. Margaret lived a very interesting life with conflict and drama.