Fire and Fury: Part 4

I woke up sometime later in a hospital. A doctor explained that I had passed out. Shortly after, firefighters and their team of Floatzel had shown up to douse the fire. The chateau was salvageable, not that it mattered.

When I asked about Sydney, the doctor hesitated. "Sydney did not make it out." He continued talking after that, but I got tunnel vision. I couldn't hear or see anything. All I could feel was panic and despair. This couldn't be happening.

But it was. I found out days after that Sydney had snuck back inside while our parents were chewing me out. She had tried to save the Pokémon, but she got trapped upstairs by the flames. Our butler had even tried to save her, but in the end, it was too late, and he perished with her. As for the Pokémon, no one had been able to find it. The TV was strangely still intact, though I know that it was the first thing to catch on fire. If I were to ever see the Pokémon that started the fire...well I knew just what I would do. But I had no intention of ever returning to that wretched place.

As the weeks passed without Sydney, my sorrow only grew. I hardly spoke to my parents. I knew they blamed me for Sydney's death, and I couldn't disagree with them on that point. I wanted to just stop feeling anything at all, but I couldn't.

One day, I left. It was nothing permanent, but I wanted to see Mt. Coronet. I headed out of Sunyshore City on my bike towards the west, then north to Veilstone City. I biked west again, then south through Solaceon town. I then headed west from Hearthome City to the Mt. Coronet entrance just outside the city. I looked up at its majesty and felt the same awe that I felt at the Pokémon statue all those months ago in Eterna City. Then, I felt nothing at all. It was a comforting, relieving feeling, and I wished to feel that way forever. I didn't know how to do that, but I could spend my life trying.

As I stared up at Mt. Coronet, I knew that I was seeing into my future.