Chapter 26 - The Chance of a Lifetime

Taehyung stared at the broad shoulders Namjoon had as they walked over to the front entrance of the school. He had no idea what Namjoon had meant by wanting to talk to him, or where the conversation would go. He didn't want to, but if he had to throw hands with the tall businessman in front of a preschool, he would! And he would win too.

Namjoon rested against the gate, fixing his glasses and glancing over to the painter, who put a hand in his hair. "I didn't want to risk the kids hearing anything," Namjoon said simply. "But you, Sir, need to pay more attention to your files." Taehyung let out a soft sigh.

"I know, I know..." he said. "But I really wasn't trying to stir the pot or anything, I-." Namjoon lifted his hand up, nodding his head in understanding.

"I know. But I figured someone should have sat down and told you all of the important stuff early on. Might as well be me now, while we are here." Taehyung nodded. Namjoon's chest expanded and shrank again as he thought about what he was going to say. "I don't know where Kai's mother is." Taehyung bit the inside of his lip. He figured as much, the woman had not once been mentioned, nor was she in any paperwork. But Taehyung thought it was a legal ordeal, not a missing person kind of ordeal. "She and I met and dated right when I got out of college. She was interning at a nearby business firm. It wasn't anything major, but it was nice. She had gotten transferred to a placed in Gwangju, so she broke it off after that. I didn't hear from her for a whole year."

"I think I kind of know where this is going," Taehyung said softly, and then waited for Namjoon to continue. He nodded and did so.

"She dropped him off about two weeks after he was born. I tried to contact her, but I haven't found her. She left her job in Gwangju, and apparently went to another firm. I have no idea if she changed her name, or left the country." Namjoon shrugged. "So, when Kai says he doesn't have a mom...he doesn't." Taehyung nodded.

"Yikes..." he said softly. "I'm sorry to hear that. Does he-?"

"Not yet. He just knows he doesn't have one. I'll tell him when he's older." Just as Namjoon finished explaining himself and his past, he heard a voice coming out from the building. He turned over and saw you walking out with Kai, who was holding your hand and obviously chewing your ear off. When you caught his glance, Namjoon quickly lifted a hand up, signaling you to wait just a moment, as he was in the middle of a conversation. As Taehyung watched him, he could see Namjoon's eyes sparkling as he stared in your direction, the small and amused smile sitting comfortably on his face. It made Taehyung's heartbeat just a little bit faster than normal. Is that what he looked like when he looked at you too? Or did he have another look on his face? Were you able to notice these looks shot in your direction?

"You really love her, don't you?" Taehyung asked curiously, tilting his head. Namjoon glanced over at Taehyung as he spoke, the smile still stuck to his face. He only nodded at first.

"I do." He admitted. "I have since the day I met her." Taehyung nodded. "Seokjin suggested I put Kai into preschool here when he was old enough. So, I went to the little orientation with all of the parents. She said she had barely been here a handful of years, but Kai fell in love with her immediately, all the kids did. She was kind and patient, and funny. I was in that room for about 35 minutes, and I knew at that moment I needed to at least try and win her over." Taehyung watched you smooth out your skirt, sitting Kai down on a nearby bench. He held his bag tight, kicking his feet as he waited for his father to call his name. You, on the other hand, walked over to the swings, where Yeonjun and Beomgyu were happily pushing Chaeryeong and Taehyun on the swings. He couldn't help but smile too as you leaned forward to watch the kids squeal and cheer in delight. The smile on your face had Taehyung feel butterflies in his chest.