The Men

"Oh he's beautiful!" My mother excliams, smoothing out a crumpled form that belongs to a man named Joseph Hilind,

"Don't go getting any ideas now America!" My father says nudging his wife, she gives him a loving look. Their romance was so perfect, my mother told me that my father almost died trying to save her. I had always been so inspired by my parents, ever since I was little, I had awaited my selection with high expectations, always awaiting my fairy tale love life.

"Well you better pick 35 my dear." My father said gently,

"I know, father."

I Layed out all the forms that remained, only 50 from about 2000.

I shuffled through them, glad that the castes had been disolved, since quite a few of these men could of been brushed off beacuse of their caste while they could of been my soulmate.

They had only been officaly dissolved 5 years ago, since it was no simple task. I stroked a form of a man named, Lester Back, quite a handsome man, and many interesting hobbies, I added him to the "yes" pile. I wondered what caste he would of been in.

Beside me, my mother counted the forms in the "yes" pile.

"33." She said, "Two more, Amberly."

I stared at the scattered forms, I shuffled through my maybe pile. I plucked two from the pile, a man in a grey T-shirt and a man with orange shoes.

Ronan Camio and Arron Bail.

I patted the "yes" pile, "these are them." I said, "your sure?" My mother asked, "yes, mother. I'm sure!" I handed the pile over into her hands and she took them to go be assessed.

Once my mother has left, I turn to my father, "was it hard?" I asked, "was what hard, Am?"
"The selection." I reply, I'm afraid o can't do it..."
"Amberley Scherave, you are talented and stubborn and beautiful and I know that the selection will be easy. But just a tip, if you are any problems, talk to your mother!"
I give him a look then smile and nod.
***
"AND THE 35 SELECTED ARE..."
Gravil stands in front of a large crowd of people and gestures to a monitor that shows pictures of the selected, they flick bye, I imagine families having parties on their homes as their son's names are listed off, there goes Orange shoes, and that Joseph boy that mom fancies. It's all so overwhelming, then I have to get up and perform a speech.
I stand up and go to the microphone,
"Thank you, Gravil." I say,
"35 lucky men were chosen tonight to come live at the palace and will get the chance to win my heart." I clear my throat and move on, "I look forward to seeing you in one weeks time. Thank you to the 2000 men who sent in their forms, it really keeps the mail service busy!" The whole crowd shook with laughter, "I really do look forward to meeting you all! Good night!"
The lights go black and the camera stops rolling, I run to my room to go figure out my life.