Chapter 9

Okay, so I wasn't able to write this past week due to it being the last week of school, but I'm writing now! This might just be a short chapter because I'm not sure how to finish this.....soooooooooo yeah. Again I only own the plot.

Third-person POV:

"Were the cookies burnt?" A voice commented.  A fire crackled in the background, filling the small room with warmth as the winter season raged on outside. The Slat was set up for Christmas and shouts of drunk carolers could be heard through the floorboards. A voice replied softly,

"No, they were fine," a chuckle followed shortly after. A man of 25 sat in an armchair near the raging flames. His shoulders sagged with the weight of his responsibility. On his lap sat a small child, wrapped in a quilt and cookie in hand. In the young man's hand was a book, well, journal. They had only been reading for an hour, reliving the memories written between the pages. 

"Good, I hate burnt cookies," The child replied. The man once again chuckled.

"So do I."

A knock came from the hallway. The child immediately jumped up and ran to the door, revealing a woman about the same age as the man. 

"Your parents are here," she said.

"Thanks," The man replied, standing up and moving towards the hall.

"Grandma and grandpa are here?" the child yelled.

"Yup," the women commented. "Why don't you go say hi."

The child raced down the stairs. The noise of footsteps disappearing into the sound of singing. I cheer rose up in the crowd as the man's parents entered below. The man smiled and laced his hand with the woman. Closing the door behind them, they made their way down and into the sea of people celebrating. The man's parents were settled in one of the booths, surrounded by old Dregs from the good old days. The pair approached them and moved to sit with them. The child had climbed into their grandpa's lap and silence followed as they took in each other's company.

"Good to see you again, mom, dad," the man whispered.

"It's good to see you too," His mother responded. "It's good to be home."

The man's father nodded along.

"Are you going to stay this time?" The man inquired.

"I think we are," His mother smiled as the man's eyes widened in joy. His parents had been coming and going ever since he was able to take over the family business. Traveling across the world. Every year they visited and he asked them to stay, and every year they turned him down. His father chuckled before whispering,

"Merry Christmas Jordie"

Sorry again for the short and late chapter. Hope you enjoyed it!  Yeah. Have a great week!!

Sugi