Chapter Five

A  month  later, I  noticed  that  things  were  going  on  well  between  Donald  and  I,  but  were  starting  to  go  sour  with  Maxwell.  He  was  becoming  distant  and  I  needed  to  get  back  his  attention. 

Two  weeks  had  passed  without  us  talking.  The  last  time  I  had  called  him, he  had  seemed  to  be  busy. 

I  had  called  twice  on  that  day: in  the  afternoon  around  a  quarter  to  two,  he  had  said,  'Sorry,  I  can’t  talk  now.  I’m  in  a  discussion.' and  in  the  evening  at  half  past  five,  he  had  said,  'Sorry  sweetheart,  I’m   helping  my  aunt  prepare  dinner.  I’ll  call  you  later.' but  the  call  never  came.   

I  decided  to  send  him  a  text:  

Hello  there.  This  is  Sofia's  friend.  Sorry  to  inform  you  that  Sofia  is  gone.  Her  parents  read  the  letter  she  wrote  to  be  given  to  you  in  which  she  complained  about  a  heartbreak.  Don’t  try  contacting  this  number  because  her  family  is  mad  at  you.  That  is  all. 

When  the  message  read  delivered,  I  braced  myself  for  his  reaction. Surely  such  a  message  would  catch  anyone’s  attention.  Even  the  most  busiest  man.  Hardly  five  minutes  passed  when  he  called.  I  did  not  answer the phone. 

After  calling  thrice,  he  sent  a  message  that  read:

Sofia,  please  answer  my  call.  I  believe  you  are  there.

I  smiled  mischievously.  Now  he  is  going  to  know  how  it  feels  to  be  ignored, I  thought.  He  called  once  again  and  I  just  stared  at  my  phone.

When  the  call ended,  I  sent  him  a  message:

I  already  told  you  that  Sofia  is  gone.  Don’t  you  get  that?  

He  replied:

Please  don’t  kill  my  Sofia.  She  means  a lot  to  me.  I  love  her  so  much.  Please  tell  her  that.

His  words  moved  me  and  I  did  not  know  what  to  say  to  him.  Actually,  I  had  plenty  of  things  to  say,  but  I  did  not  want  to  sound  emotional  so  I  chose  my  words  carefully.

I  texted  him:

Okay.  Your  message  has  been  delivered  to  Sofia.

He  called  soon  after  he  received  the  message.  I  had  no  choice  but  to  answer  his  call.  Or  maybe  I  did  have  a  choice.  Just  that  my  feelings  clouded  my  thoughts.  As  soon  as  I  received  his  call,  his  first  words  were, 

“Thank  God  you  finally  answered.”

Not,  ‘Am  sorry  I  haven’t  been  in  touch’.

I  frowned  at  the  phone,  wishing  we  were  speaking  through  video  call. I  wanted  to  scold  him  so  badly,  but  I  stopped  myself.

“Why  did  you  do  that  to  me?” He demanded.

There  was  no  anger  in  his  voice,  just  concern  and  worry.

“You  made  me  feel  like  I  was  gone  from  your  life.  You’ve  been  too  busy  for  me.  I  don’t  think  I  matter  anymore.  It  is  clear  I am  no  longer  important to you,”  I  cried.

“Please  don’t  say  that.”  I  heard  his  sharp  intake  of  breath.  “You  matter  a  lot  to  me  and  you   are  very  important.  I  love  you  so  much.”

“I  feel  like  you’re  shutting  me  out.”

“No,  sweetheart,  I  am  not.  My  studies  are  taking  up  so  much  time.  You  won’t understand  since  you  haven’t  joined  university  or  college  yet.”

“Well,  you’re  right,”  I  snapped.  “I  haven’t  experienced  that  kind  of  life  yet  so  how  will  I  understand  what  you’re  going  through?”  
                                                                  “I’m  sorry.”

There it was; the  apology I had been waiting for was finally out.

“I  promise  I  won’t  be  distant.  We’ll  communicate  frequently.”
                                                        “Alright.”  I  hang  up.

Maxwell  called  everyday  for  one  week  and  then  radio  silence.  He  broke  his  promise  and  that  was  so  agitating.  I  called  his  best  friend  Erick  Mwamburi.

“Hey,  beautiful,”  he  greeted  cheerfully.

I  grinned.  He  was  still  so  charming  no  wonder  Anita  had  a  crush  on  him. 

“Hello,  Dr  Love.”

Dr  Love  had  been  his  moniker  back  in  high  school  because  he  had  enjoyed  giving  advice  to  people  who  were  in  love.  He  had  found  joy  in  fixing  people’s  relationships.

“How are you?" He asked.

I  took  in  a  deep  breath.  “I'm fine.  How’s  Nakuru?”

“Nakuru’s  great.  Am  doing  well.  I  got  a  job  recently.”

“Congratulations.  I  am  happy  for  you."

“What’s  up  my  in-law?”  He  asked.   

“Have  you  spoken  with  Max  lately?”

“Not  since  yesterday.  He  called  me  in  the  afternoon.  Is  anything  the  matter?” 

Oh,  so  Maxwell  had  talked  to  his  friend,  but  he  hadn’t  bothered  to  call  me.  Erick  was  not  going  to  like  what  I  was  going  to  tell  him.  I  gathered  up  my  courage. 

“I  have  a  message  I’d  like  you  to  deliver.”

“To  Max,  I  presume?”

“Yes,”  I  replied  breathlessly. 

“Okay.  Tell  me.”

There  was  excitement  in  his  voice.  He  must  have  thought  it  was  a  love  message.  Oh  boy,  was  he  in  for  a  disappointment.

“Please  tell  your  friend  to  forget  about  me.”

“What!  No.  No.  No.  Please  tell  me  I  didn’t   hear  you  right.”

“You  did,  Erick.  I  need  you  to  tell  him  that.”

“Why?  Did  you  guys  fight?”

I  gulped  hard.  I  did  not  feel  like  going  into  details.

“I’m  sure  you  and  Max  can  work  things  out," Erick  said  when  I  didn't  answer  his  question.  "You  always  have.  Don't  make  such  a  rush  decision.”

“Too  late  for  that.  My  mind  is  already  made  up.”

“Max  loves  you.”

“And  I  love  him  too.”

“Then  why  this?” 

“Things  aren’t  working  out  the  way  I hoped  they would."  And love isn't enough.

“Back  then  I  used  to  envy  you  two,"  Erick  said, "but  right  now,  I  don’t  think  I  want  to  be  in  your  shoes.”

Maxwell  and  I  had  been  very  close  back  in  our  high  school  days.  When  he  introduced  me  to  his  son, Joel  Mwandawiro,  Erick  had  said  something  about  us  being  a  happy  family.