Chapter Eight

Three  days  after  my  stepfather’s  burial,  Maxwell  asked  to  see  me.  He  had  wanted  to  see  me  the  day  my  father  had  passed  away,  but  I  had  put  our  meeting  off.  He  could  not  come  to  my  place  due  to  the  existing  bad  blood  between  him  and  my  mother  and  I  could  not  leave  the  house.

On  my  way  to  meet  Maxwell,  I  thought  of  all  the  questions  I  could  ask  him.  A lot  of  things  ran  through  my  mind.  I  wanted  so  badly  to  get  back  together  with  him  and  I  was  afraid   of  finding  out  that  what  William  had  told  me  was  true. 

Of course,  I  had  not  mentioned  William’s  name  in  our  conversation,  but  it  would  be  obvious  to  Maxwell  since  William  had  been  the  only  witness. Did William say those words because he was angry at Maxwell or was there any truth to them?

Anita had told me that William had given Maxwell an earful the day he'd heard about my breakup. We both felt that Maxwell had been lucky since he'd been away. If he'd been around, William could have smashed him. I was even surprised that they had boarded the same bus on their way back home.

When  I  got  to  the  appointed  place  at  7pm,  I  saw  Maxwell  seated  on  the  bench.  He  had  something  in  his  right  hand. Since  it  was  dark,  I  hoped  no  one  would  recognize  us.  The  last  thing  I  wanted  was  to  have  problems  with  my  mother.  Maxwell  stood  up  when  he  saw  me. 

As  I  approached  him,  I  wondered  whether  I  should  hug  him,  kiss  him  or  just  shake  his  hand.  In  the  end,  I  did  none  of  those.

“Hi.”  He  flashed  me  his  cute  smile.

God,  I  had  missed  him.

“Hi.”  I  acknowledged  him  with  a  nod  and  returned  his  smile. 

It  has  been  long,  I  thought.

“Let’s  sit,”  he  suggested.

“Sure.”  I  sat  down  and  so  did  he.

I  fiddled  with  my  phone  not  knowing  what  to  say  next.  I  had  planned  to  ask  so  many  questions  such  as  why  he  had  agreed  to  stay  away  when  I  had  asked  him  to  through  Erick.  I  always  pushed  him  away  hoping  he  would  stay  and  fight  for  us. 

“I’m  sorry,”  he  said.

My  heart  skipped  a  beat.  Was  he  admitting  that  he  had  been  with  a  girl  and  that  it  had  been  a  mistake  or  was  he  apologizing  for  being  so  distant?  I  wondered. 

“I’m  sorry,”  he  repeated  then  added,  “My  condolences  to  your  family.  I  liked  your  stepfather.  He   was  a  good  man,  very  friendly  and  peaceful.  I  really  wish  I  had  been  present  at  the  burial.”

Oh,   so  that  was  it!  I  sighed.  Well,  at  least,  my  best  friend  William and his sisters  had  been  there.  My  mother  didn’t  have  any  problem  with  William. Maxwell  was  the  only  one  who  seemed  to  be  in  her  bad  books.

“Thanks,”  I  said  quietly.  “Yes,  my  dad  was  a  very  good  man  and   I  was  fond  of  him.”  A  tear  trickled  down  my  cheek.  “I  will  miss  him  dearly.”

At  that  moment,  I  remembered  the last moment  my  stepfather  and  I  had  spent together.  It  was  the  day  we  met  in  town.  I  had  just  left  campus  to  go  to  the  campus  recreational  park  across  the  road  when  my  stepfather  noticed  me  and  called  out  my  name.